all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ask for help
@ 2003-12-22 12:34 etang
From: etang @ 2003-12-22 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
	I have installed cvs-version emacs21.3 on my computer(winxp).
	I have configured rmail to manage my mails, and it could receive
	mails successfully, but failed in sending with the follow errors:
	*****************************
	sending failed, smtp protocol error.
	*****************************
	I tried to find help through the web. There is a statement that
	emacs21.3 expect cvs-version, can not send mail by its original
	smtpmail.el. But i am using the cvs version. Several days ago,
	i used the emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz, and the same errors
	occured.

	I tried a lot, but all failed. I think i have to turn to you.

	Thanks!

	Yours
	Vincent

* Re: ask for help
       [not found] <mailman.463.1072100396.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-12-22 15:37 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-22 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

etang <xueruini@etang.com> writes:

> 	I have installed cvs-version emacs21.3 on my computer(winxp).
> 	I have configured rmail to manage my mails, and it could receive
> 	mails successfully, but failed in sending with the follow errors:
> 	*****************************
> 	sending failed, smtp protocol error.
> 	*****************************

Maybe it works to use smtpmail.el to send mail.
M-x finder-commentary RET smtpmail RET tells you how.

Kai

* ask for help
@ 2022-04-19 11:14 Xiang Ruan
From: Xiang Ruan @ 2022-04-19 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am not familiar with emacs-lisp programming, I just wonder if this list could give me some advice on how to implement the below functionality.

Suppose I invoke a commend "a" in a buffer, then the buffer may have a name with "a".
I want to keep watching a specific file on my system, let's say, a file of "/data/b".
When /data/b changes, I want emacs to automatically update or re-invoke "a" again in the same buffer "a" without catch my focus when I am working on other buffers.

My question is, is it possible to implement it?  If it is possible, can anybody suggest me a simple example ?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

* Re: ask for help
@ 2022-04-19 11:40 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-04-19 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xiang Ruan wrote:

> I am not familiar with emacs-lisp programming, I just wonder
> if this list could give me some advice on how to implement
> the below functionality.
>
> Suppose I invoke a commend "a" in a buffer, then the buffer
> may have a name with "a". I want to keep watching a specific
> file on my system, let's say, a file of "/data/b".
> When /data/b changes, I want emacs to automatically update
> or re-invoke "a" again in the same buffer "a" without catch
> my focus when I am working on other buffers.
>
> My question is, is it possible to implement it? If it is
> possible, can anybody suggest me a simple example ?

It is usually better to do it when it is needed, not when
it changes.

If it has to happen when it changes I don't know any other way
than to poll it constantly?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: ask for help
@ 2022-04-19 11:40 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2022-04-19 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiang Ruan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Xiang Ruan <ruanxiang@ruanxiang.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am not familiar with emacs-lisp programming, I just wonder if this
> list could give me some advice on how to implement the below
> functionality.
>
> Suppose I invoke a commend "a" in a buffer, then the buffer may have a name with "a".
> I want to keep watching a specific file on my system, let's say, a file of "/data/b".
> When /data/b changes, I want emacs to automatically update or
> re-invoke "a" again in the same buffer "a" without catch my focus when
> I am working on other buffers.

Is "a" a buffer or a command.  It might help to make your example more
concrete by using actual names.

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: ask for help
@ 2022-04-19 12:11   ` Xiang Ruan
From: Xiang Ruan @ 2022-04-19 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Philip

Thank you for the quick response.

Actually, I follow the below blog
https://pragmaticemacs.wordpress.com/2017/01/09/how-i-view-my-google-calendar-agenda-in-emacs/
to view my google calendar agenda in Emacs.

My cron updates google calendar's agenda to a local file every minute, and I use the above “open-gcal-agenda" command to show the agenda in a buffer(the buffer will open with name "gcal")
What I want to do is, when the local file is updated by cron, I need Emacs automatically execute "open-gcal-agenda" to update the "gcal" agenda buffer.

Thank you.

> Xiang Ruan <ruanxiang@ruanxiang.net> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am not familiar with emacs-lisp programming, I just wonder if this
>> list could give me some advice on how to implement the below
>> functionality.
>>
>> Suppose I invoke a commend "a" in a buffer, then the buffer may have a name with "a".
>> I want to keep watching a specific file on my system, let's say, a file of "/data/b".
>> When /data/b changes, I want emacs to automatically update or
>> re-invoke "a" again in the same buffer "a" without catch my focus when
>> I am working on other buffers.
>
> Is "a" a buffer or a command.  It might help to make your example more
> concrete by using actual names.
>
>> My question is, is it possible to implement it?  If it is possible, can anybody suggest me a simple example ?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>

>> Best regards,

* Re: ask for help
@ 2022-04-19 13:20     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-04-19 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 09:11:48PM +0900, Xiang Ruan wrote:
> Hi, Philip
>
> Thank you for the quick response.
>
> Actually, I follow the below blog
> https://pragmaticemacs.wordpress.com/2017/01/09/how-i-view-my-google-calendar-agenda-in-emacs/
> to view my google calendar agenda in Emacs.
>
> My cron updates google calendar's agenda to a local file every minute, and I use the above “open-gcal-agenda" command to show the agenda in a buffer(the buffer will open with name "gcal")
> What I want to do is, when the local file is updated by cron, I need Emacs automatically execute "open-gcal-agenda" to update the "gcal" agenda buffer.

The easiest way would be to activate auto-revert minor mode
on the buffer showing this file (M-x auto-revert-mode)

For the more general case (or if you want full flexibility)
there is file-notify-add-watch, for example, which would
call a function provided by you whenever anything happens
to a file.

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ask for help
@ 2022-04-19 13:46       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-04-19 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomas wrote:

> For the more general case (or if you want full flexibility)
> there is file-notify-add-watch, for example, which would
> call a function provided by you whenever anything happens to
> a file.

(info "(elisp) File Notifications")

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/File-Notifications.html

There is a typo in in this paragraph BTW if anyone feels like
fixing that:

  It is also possible to watch filesystems on remote machines,
  see Remote Files in The GNU Emacs Manual This does not
  depend on one of the libraries linked to Emacs.

--

@ 2022-04-19 13:48       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-04-19 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

OT: To the OP: Try to write more descriptive subjects when you
post, not only because it makes sense in general, but also so
that when future people Google the same problem, they can
benefit from the help from past people ...

--

@ 2022-04-19 14:12     ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2022-04-19 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiang Ruan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Xiang Ruan <ruanxiang@ruanxiang.net> writes:

n> Hi, Philip

> Thank you for the quick response.
>
> Actually, I follow the below blog
> https://pragmaticemacs.wordpress.com/2017/01/09/how-i-view-my-google-calendar-agenda-in-emacs/
> to view my google calendar agenda in Emacs.
>
> My cron updates google calendar's agenda to a local file every minute,
> and I use the above “open-gcal-agenda" command to show the agenda in a
> buffer(the buffer will open with name "gcal")
> What I want to do is, when the local file is updated by cron, I need
> Emacs automatically execute "open-gcal-agenda" to update the "gcal"
> agenda buffer.

I don't know what your `open-gcal-agenda' does, but maybe looking into
auto-revert-mode might be helpful.

--
	Philip Kaludercic

* Re: ask for help
@ 2022-04-20  0:12       ` Xiang Ruan
From: Xiang Ruan @ 2022-04-20  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Philip

Thank you for the quick response.

I have tried auto-revert-mode before, it seems this function only revert files being opened in buffers. however, "open-gcal-agenda" is a command or function, but not a file opened directly, so auto-revert-mode does not work in my case.

I guess the process may like
1. catch system event of "file updated"
2. find buffer
3. invoke the command in the buffer

Maybe I need to read auto-revert-mode source code, try to find something useful and hack it.

Thank you.

       [not found] <mailman.178.1650413881.1187.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2022-04-20  1:35 ` Xiang Ruan
From: Xiang Ruan @ 2022-04-20  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Tomas

Thank you for your response.

I don't know why, I only see you message in digest mail..(maybe I should check my spam folder) I am sorry for replying late.

Thank you for the advice. I will check file-notify-add-watch later.

Best regards,

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 09:11:48PM +0900, Xiang Ruan wrote:
>> Hi, Philip
>>
>> Thank you for the quick response.
>>
>> Actually, I follow the below blog
>> https://pragmaticemacs.wordpress.com/2017/01/09/how-i-view-my-google-calendar-agenda-in-emacs/
>> to view my google calendar agenda in Emacs.
>>
>> My cron updates google calendar's agenda to a local file every
>> minute, and I use the above “open-gcal-agenda" command to show the
>> agenda in a buffer(the buffer will open with name "gcal")
>> What I want to do is, when the local file is updated by cron, I need Emacs automatically execute "open-gcal-agenda" to update the "gcal" agenda buffer.
>
> The easiest way would be to activate auto-revert minor mode
> on the buffer showing this file (M-x auto-revert-mode)
>
> For the more general case (or if you want full flexibility)
> there is file-notify-add-watch, for example, which would
> call a function provided by you whenever anything happens
> to a file.
>
> Cheers
> --
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: signature.asc
> Type: application/pgp-signature
> Size: 195 bytes
> Desc: not available

* Re: ask for help
@ 2022-04-20  8:55         ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2022-04-20  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiang Ruan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Xiang Ruan <ruanxiang@ruanxiang.net> writes:

> Hi, Philip
>
> Thank you for the quick response.
>
> I have tried auto-revert-mode before, it seems this function only
> revert files being opened in buffers. however, "open-gcal-agenda" is a
> command or function, but not a file opened directly, so
> auto-revert-mode does not work in my case.
>
> I guess the process may like
> 1. catch system event of "file updated"
> 2. find buffer
> 3. invoke the command in the buffer
>
> Maybe I need to read auto-revert-mode source code, try to find something useful and hack it.

If you open the file that is updated via cron, and ensure that a
function doing the updating is added to the after-revert-hook, it might
work?

@ 2022-04-21  2:10           ` Xiang Ruan
From: Xiang Ruan @ 2022-04-21  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, Philip

Thank you for the response.

Yes, I am now can catch update event of a specific file now.
The problem remained for me is that, after the file updating, I want to
execute a specific command but not revert a file buffer.

Thus, after catching up file update event, I need to first find the
window which is showing the command buffer, and execute the command to
update window. And this need to be run in background without disturbing
my working on other emacs windows.

best regards,