all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacsclient and find-alternate-file: newbie will be sorry
@ 2002-07-11 21:43 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-07-11 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I called emacsclient from debian's reportbug.  After a while thought
that since I had pasted things from an emacs *Help* buffer, in order
to get rid of their underlinings etc. at least to make sure what the
file really looks like, i did C-x C-s C-x C-v, well, first is asks me
if i want to kill the waiting [reportbug command], i say no and
continue on editing until a final C-x # upon which time a *loss*
buffer appears etc. ... etc.  a non expert would have big difficulty
in completing the reportbug process at this point.   please try for
yourself.  me of course found the right buffers and wrote the right
files lucily, but i'm just saying you've set up a danger zone for a newbie.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: emacsclient and find-alternate-file: newbie will be sorry
@ 2002-07-14 15:22 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-07-14 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    I called emacsclient from debian's reportbug.  After a while thought
    that since I had pasted things from an emacs *Help* buffer, in order
    to get rid of their underlinings etc. at least to make sure what the
    file really looks like, i did C-x C-s C-x C-v, well, first is asks me
    if i want to kill the waiting [reportbug command], i say no and
    continue on editing until a final C-x # upon which time a *loss*
    buffer appears etc. ... etc.

That is a very strange thing to do, but I figured out some ways
to make the results better.  Thanks.