all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: alternative to "emacsclient -nw"
       [not found] <87adhihb2a.fsf@localhost.localdomain>
@ 2003-01-31  2:02 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2003-01-31  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Goesele <goesele@hfph.mwn.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> for gnuserv with Xemacs I can use "gnuclient -nw foo" to open a file
> in the terminal I'm currently in. Neither emacsclient nor
> gnuclient.emacs supports the "-nw" option.
>
> Is there any way to achieve the same effect (remaining in the terminal
> where I start the client) with emacs?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Andreas Goesele

Yep. It's: %emacs

Like in:

emacs -nw
^Z
ls
cd
%emacs

Otherwise, look what  you're asking: you have a  running emacs (where?
in a xterm? in a X window? on the console?). And then you want to have
it displays on your terminal!

Well, AFAIK, it's not possible if the emacs run on X window.

If  you have  emacs  running on  a terminal,  then  if you  ran it  on
screen(1) it  is possible to take  over a screen  session from another
terminal.  But it's more like %emacs than like emacsclient.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
There is a fault in reality. Do not adjust your minds. -- Salman Rushdie

* Re: alternative to "emacsclient -nw"
@ 2003-01-31 14:07   ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2003-01-31 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

> Otherwise, look what  you're asking: you have a  running emacs (where?
> in a xterm? in a X window? on the console?). And then you want to have
> it displays on your terminal!

Yep, that's what Andreas is asking for.  XEmacs supports this, but
Emacs does not (yet).  I don't know of anyone currently working on
supporting this, but it's a pretty nifty feature so maybe someone
listening wants to work on it?  8^)

Spank *THIS*, Big Boy!