all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Antialiasing in Emacs?
@ 2003-02-21 16:56 WoJunker
From: WoJunker @ 2003-02-21 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using Emacs under Linux Redhat 8.0. Usually, all texts on the screen of my
computer are automatically subjected to antialiasing to make them smoothly
readable. The only exception so far is Emacs, which produces non-antialiased
text that is rather inconvenient to read. How can I configure Emacs to support
antialiasing?

Thanks for any advice
Wolfgang Junker

* Re: Antialiasing in Emacs?
@ 2003-02-21 17:00 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-02-21 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

wojunker@aol.com (WoJunker) writes:

> I am using Emacs under Linux Redhat 8.0. Usually, all texts on the
> screen of my computer are automatically subjected to antialiasing to
> make them smoothly readable. The only exception so far is Emacs,
> which produces non-antialiased text that is rather inconvenient to
> read. How can I configure Emacs to support antialiasing?

You can't.  So use a readable font.  I have

Emacs.font: 10x20

in my .Xdefaults file (might also be .Xresources, I have one linked to
the other), and that looks pretty much ok.

* Re: Antialiasing in Emacs?
@ 2003-02-21 19:46   ` Johan Kullstam
From: Johan Kullstam @ 2003-02-21 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> wojunker@aol.com (WoJunker) writes:
>
> > I am using Emacs under Linux Redhat 8.0. Usually, all texts on the
> > screen of my computer are automatically subjected to antialiasing to
> > make them smoothly readable. The only exception so far is Emacs,
> > which produces non-antialiased text that is rather inconvenient to
> > read. How can I configure Emacs to support antialiasing?
>
> You can't.  So use a readable font.  I have
>
> Emacs.font: 10x20
>
> in my .Xdefaults file (might also be .Xresources, I have one linked to
> the other), and that looks pretty much ok.

I like the gnu intl fonts.

-etl-fixed-medium-r-*-*-18-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1"

Why these fonts are not included in every linux distro I do not know.

--
Johan KULLSTAM <kullstj-nn@attbi.com> sysengr