all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: close buffer with keystroke?
@ 2003-09-16 18:31 ` Dave Footitt
       [not found]   ` <mailman.326.1063750480.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dave Footitt @ 2003-09-16 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:26:28 -0700, Jeff D. Hamann wrote:

> Now I'm not *trying* to post flamebait, but is it possible to close/kill a
> buffer with a keystroke in emacs/ntemacs? I find I get a gazillion buffers
> open and have to close them using the mouse. It's a drag.

Do you mean C-x k ?

I use `ibuffer' quite a lot as a buffer clean-up tool, particularly
helpful are its marking buffers based on a regular expression (eg, all C++
buffers can be marked and killed)

Dave

@ 2003-09-16 19:10     ` Dave Footitt
       [not found]       ` <mailman.327.1063751726.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dave Footitt @ 2003-09-16 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:14:12 -0400, Dan Anderson wrote:

> What does the `' mean?  (Or is it just a typo?)

Hmm.  It's supposed to be quote marks, hopefully it appeared as such!
I'm using pan as my newsreader for the first time tonight, so it might
have got that wrong.

Dave

* close buffer with keystroke?
@ 2003-09-16 21:26 Jeff D. Hamann
From: Jeff D. Hamann @ 2003-09-16 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now I'm not *trying* to post flamebait, but is it possible to close/kill a
buffer with a keystroke in emacs/ntemacs? I find I get a gazillion buffers
open and have to close them using the mouse. It's a drag.

Jeff.

---
Jeff D. Hamann
Hamann, Donald and Associates, Inc.
PO Box 1421
Corvallis, Oregon USA 97339-1421
(office) 541-753-7333
(cell) 541-740-5988
jeff_hamann@hamanndonald.com
www.hamanndonald.com

* Re: close buffer with keystroke?
@ 2003-09-16 21:57 ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-09-16 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

C-x k  ... If the buffer is different then the file on disk it will
prompt you to save.

-Dan

@ 2003-09-16 22:14   ` Dan Anderson
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-09-16 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> `ibuffer'

What does the `' mean?  (Or is it just a typo?)

Thanks,

-Dan

* Re: close buffer with keystroke?
@ 2003-09-16 22:35       ` Dan Anderson
       [not found]       ` <mailman.327.1063751726.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Anderson @ 2003-09-16 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Hmm.  It's supposed to be quote marks, hopefully it appeared as such!
> I'm using pan as my newsreader for the first time tonight, so it might
> have got that wrong.

Oh ok.  I just asked because many programing languages and other things
attach special functions and commands to the ` key -- so I didn't know
if you were doing something bizarre.  :-D

-Dan

* Re: close buffer with keystroke?
@ 2003-09-17  7:48 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2003-09-17  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff D. Hamann <jeff_hamann@hamanndonald.com> wrote on Tue, 16 Sep 2003
14:26:28 -0700:
> Now I'm not *trying* to post flamebait, but is it possible to
> close/kill a buffer with a keystroke in emacs/ntemacs? I find I get a
> gazillion buffers open and have to close them using the mouse. It's a
> drag.

Jeff, it's possible to do _anything_ in Emacs without a mouse.  I use
Emacs in a Linux console where the mouse is non-functional, and I've
never felt handicapped because of it.

C-x k will kill a specific buffer, defaulting to the current one.

If you've got a few hundred buffers to kill at once, start with C-x C-b
`list-buffers' to, well, list your buffers, go that list (say, with C-x
o), and type d on each buffer you want rid of.  This will mark each such
with a big D.  Finally, type X, and they're all gone.  [If you type a d
in the wrong place, go back there and type u to rub it out.]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

@ 2003-09-17 12:35         ` marcuirl
From: marcuirl @ 2003-09-17 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

>> Hmm.  It's supposed to be quote marks, hopefully it appeared as such!
>> I'm using pan as my newsreader for the first time tonight, so it might
>> have got that wrong.
>
> Oh ok.  I just asked because many programing languages and other things
> attach special functions and commands to the ` key -- so I didn't know
> if you were doing something bizarre.  :-D

Theres been a  whole discussion on some other newsgroup as to why *nix
people like `blahblahblah' and not  'blahblahblah' or  "blahblahblah"

Its personal I guess!

marcu
--
Unless otherwise noted, the statements herein reflect my
personal opinions and not those of any organisation with

* Re: close buffer with keystroke?
@ 2003-09-17 15:58   ` Jeff D. Hamann
From: Jeff D. Hamann @ 2003-09-17 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks. That's just the info I was looking for. Now I have to figure out how
to configure emacs so that when I hit the delete key (when using emacs over
ssh) the characters delete instead of some help prompt, but I know that info
is in the FAQ.

Sorry for the simple post.

Thanks again.
Jeff.

@ 2003-09-18  9:08           ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-09-18  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

marcuirl <marcuirl@imap.no2this.cc> writes:

> Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:
>
>>> Hmm.  It's supposed to be quote marks, hopefully it appeared as such!
>>> I'm using pan as my newsreader for the first time tonight, so it might
>>> have got that wrong.
>>
>> Oh ok.  I just asked because many programing languages and other things
>> attach special functions and commands to the ` key -- so I didn't know
>> if you were doing something bizarre.  :-D
>
> Theres been a  whole discussion on some other newsgroup as to why *nix
> people like `blahblahblah' and not  'blahblahblah' or  "blahblahblah"
>
> Its personal I guess!
[...]

I don't know about other POSIX or non-POSIX programs. But in an Emacs
context ` and ' are used by convention when referring to symbols.

[Personally I detest it, but I don't have to like a convention in
order to follow it.]

    Oliver
--
Jour du Génie de l'Année 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: close buffer with keystroke?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-09-18 14:55 ` Nicolas Neuss
From: Nicolas Neuss @ 2003-09-18 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have this line in my .emacs

(global-set-key [f8] 'kill-this-buffer)

Nicolas.

* Re: close buffer with keystroke?
@ 2003-10-08 21:04     ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-10-08 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeff D. Hamann" <jeff_hamann@hamanndonald.com> writes:

> Thanks. That's just the info I was looking for. Now I have to figure out how
> to configure emacs so that when I hit the delete key (when using emacs over
> ssh) the characters delete instead of some help prompt, but I know that info
> is in the FAQ.

Do you have a configurable terminal?  If so, it is best to configure
that to send DEL (that's ascii character 127) when you hit the
backspace key, and to send ESC [ 3 ~ (four characters) when you hit
the delete key.  That will be recognized by Emacs automatically, I
believe.

(You also might have to "stty erase ^?" from the shell where ^? is
obtained by typing C-v and then the backspace key.  I hope.)

Emacs calls it DEL, the shell calls it erase, everybody else calls it
backspace...  Talk about confusion.

@ 2003-10-08 21:06         ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-10-08 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Anderson <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

> Oh ok.  I just asked because many programing languages and other things
> attach special functions and commands to the ` key -- so I didn't know
> if you were doing something bizarre.  :-D

Actually, both ` and ' have special meanings in Emacs Lisp, but it is
conventional to use this combination in this way as quotes.  Type,
for example, C-h k C-n.  Then you will see a lot of such quotes, eg.
in `next-line-add-newlines'.

Maybe an analog could be Java.  In Java code, < is less than and > is
greater than, but in a Javadoc comment, <foo> is an HTML tag.

Does that make sense?