all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* More Tramp/OSX fun
@ 2003-10-31 17:06 Edward Dodge
From: Edward Dodge @ 2003-10-31 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Special thanks to Mr. Calhoun for mentioning some code in his problem
that got me going quickly with tramp:

        (require 'tramp)
        (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")

Everything works fine with the initial command:

	C-x C-f /user@ftp.somewhere.com:index.htm

I get a password prompt,  type it in,  and I should be editing
index.htm.  But then something else happens,  I continue to get more
password prompts for "#!user."  If I enter the correct password for
"user,"  I get a failed attempt to log in.  If I just hit enter,  I
get a failed attempt to log in.  Inexplicably,  if I try one more
time,  Tramp complies.  It's the same way with dired/tramp.

Any ideas?  Should tramp be asking for the password more than once in
the same ftp session?  Why would it add "#!" to the user-name?

--
Edward Dodge

/OSX 10.1.5/
/GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin5.5) of 2002-10-11 on G3/

* Re: More Tramp/OSX fun
@ 2003-12-03 22:25 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2003-12-03 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Edward Dodge <someone@g3.com> writes:

> Special thanks to Mr. Calhoun for mentioning some code in his problem
> that got me going quickly with tramp:
>
>         (require 'tramp)
>         (setq tramp-default-method "ftp")
>
> Everything works fine with the initial command:
>
> 	C-x C-f /user@ftp.somewhere.com:index.htm
>
> I get a password prompt,  type it in,  and I should be editing
> index.htm.  But then something else happens,  I continue to get more
> password prompts for "#!user."

Do you have a *tramp/foo* buffer?  (You shouldn't.)
Do you have a *debug tramp/foo* buffer?  (You shouldn't.)
Do you have a *ftp foo* buffer?  (You should.)

If you answered yes to one of the first two, then that's a bug in
Tramp.

Else it's a bug in Ange-FTP.  Not that this helps you much...

Hm.  It might be interesting to see the *ftp foo* buffer, to see how
it goes wrong...  Please censor the passwords...

Kai