all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* using utf-8...
@ 2003-12-23 15:47 Guldo K
From: Guldo K @ 2003-12-23 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.
I have a problem with gnus and utf-8.
I noticed there's plenty of stuff regarding
this matter on the NG, and took a look
at it.
However I think I need utf-8.el, which I
just don't have; the problem is that, after
a lot of googling and "savanning", I still
cannot find it anywhere.
Could you please help me with a link to it?

Many thanks,

*Guldo*

* Re: using utf-8...
@ 2003-12-23 16:26 ` Jeffery B. Rancier
From: Jeffery B. Rancier @ 2003-12-23 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guldo K <guldoKoreWo@tiscaNuiteKureli.it> writes:

> Hello.
> I have a problem with gnus and utf-8.
> I noticed there's plenty of stuff regarding
> this matter on the NG, and took a look
> at it.
> However I think I need utf-8.el, which I
> just don't have; the problem is that, after
> a lot of googling and "savanning", I still
> cannot find it anywhere.
> Could you please help me with a link to it?

This might help:

,----
| http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/338/1994/10/0/1877538/
`----

Jeff

* Re: using utf-8...
@ 2003-12-23 16:34 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-12-23 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guldo K <guldoKoreWo@tiscaNuiteKureli.it> writes:

> I have a problem with gnus and utf-8.

What problem?  It's difficult so say anything without a less vague
problem description.

> However I think I need utf-8.el, which I just don't have;

utf-8.el is included with Emacs, so you should have it.

* Re: using utf-8...
@ 2003-12-23 23:22   ` Guldo K
From: Guldo K @ 2003-12-23 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Guldo K <guldoKoreWo@tiscaNuiteKureli.it> writes:
>
> > I have a problem with gnus and utf-8.
>
> What problem?  It's difficult so say anything without a less vague
> problem description.
>
> > However I think I need utf-8.el, which I just don't have;
>
> utf-8.el is included with Emacs, so you should have it.

Thanks for the reply.
I didn't include a description of the problem for 2 reasons:
1) I just need to find that file (or I hope so...)
2) it's a known problem on this NG, and I just thought
you'd answer "look for this into other threads in the NG",
or suchlike.
In fact the solution should be set, according to some
threads I found, I just need to find utf-8.el.
Is it included in emacs?
I'm running
GNU Emacs 21.2.1
(i386-debian-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
of 2002-03-22 on raven, modified by Debian

I just did
# find / -iname "*utf*.el"
but I didn't found it. I found utf-7.el, instead.

Anyway the problem is as follows:
I'm using gnus to read NG, and noticed that some
of the messages including japanese text (but not
all of them) weren't correctly displayed.
I realized that all these messages were in utf-8 charset.
Searching the NG I found that I need ucs-tables;
I downloaded it and saved into a proper dir,
but apparently it's not enough.
So I thought that utf-8.el could be needed.
I heard about it here:
http://theotp1.physik.uni-ulm.de/~ste/comp/emacs/gnus/rs-gnus-unify.el

Thanks a lot,

*Guldo*

* Re: using utf-8...
@ 2003-12-24  0:15     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-12-24  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guldo K <guldoKoreWo@tiscaNuiteKureli.it> writes:

> In fact the solution should be set, according to some threads I
> found, I just need to find utf-8.el.  Is it included in emacs?

Yes.

> I just did
> # find / -iname "*utf*.el"
> but I didn't found it. I found utf-7.el, instead.

  $ locate utf-8.el

  /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/international/utf-8.elc
  /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/international/utf-8.el

> Anyway the problem is as follows: I'm using gnus to read NG, and
> noticed that some of the messages including japanese text (but not
> all of them) weren't correctly displayed.

What do you mean by »correctly displayed«?  If you see empty boxes
this could mean that:

1. You don't have the required fonts installed.

2. Emacs' Unicode support is incomplete.  Perhaps those particular
   chars aren't supported.

* Re: using utf-8...
@ 2003-12-24 21:12       ` Guldo K
From: Guldo K @ 2003-12-24 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

>   $ locate utf-8.el
>
>   /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/international/utf-8.elc
>   /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/international/utf-8.el

That's it: I have the first (utf-8.elc) but not the latter.

> What do you mean by »correctly displayed«?  If you see empty boxes
> this could mean that:
>
> 1. You don't have the required fonts installed.
>
> 2. Emacs' Unicode support is incomplete.  Perhaps those particular
>    chars aren't supported.

Sometimes I see empty boxes, some other times wrong characters.

Thanks,

*Guldo*

Merry XMas everybody! :-)