all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* customize eshell-alias loading
@ 2004-03-28  0:44 Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2004-03-28  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

An example of the customize autoloading problems I mentioned that I
thought I'd been hitting is em-alias.el.

For instance with the emacs cvs on a recent i386 debian, if you fire
up emacs -q -no-site-file in the usual way and then

	M-x customize-group eshell-alias

you get just

	Eshell Aliases File

but if instead you fire up and do

	M-x eshell
	M-x customize-group eshell-alias

you get more things to customize

	Eshell Aliases File
	Eshell Bad Command Tolerance
	Eshell Alias Load Hook

I'm guessing this is because em-alias.el (the :load for the
eshell-alias group) doesn't like to be loaded without the main eshell
loaded,

	(require 'em-alias)

gives

	Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable eshell-directory-name)
	  (concat eshell-directory-name "alias")
	  eval((concat eshell-directory-name "alias"))
	  custom-initialize-reset(eshell-aliases-file (concat eshell-directory-name "al$
	  custom-declare-variable(eshell-aliases-file (concat eshell-directory-name "al$
	  require(em-alias)
	  eval((require (quote em-alias)))
	  eval-expression((require (quote em-alias)) nil)
	  call-interactively(eval-expression)

(I'm not trying to pick on eshell here, it was just one I'd struck.)

Should an M-x customize-group to a particular group work, without
going through its parents or whatever?  Perhaps the relevant variables
or groups need more in their autoload lists.