all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* key binding with windows and menu keys
@ 2005-08-14  1:18 Tyler
From: Tyler @ 2005-08-14  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'd like to bind the windows key to scroll-other-window-down, as is set
to C-M-s-v by default. I've been googling for answers, but can't figure
out what to call the windows key. My keyboard has a full complement of
CTRL, Shift, Esc, and Alt keys which behave as expected. It would be
nice to make use of the 'Windows' and 'Menu' keys as well. Can anyone
tell me how to do so?

Thanks,

Tyler

ps. the goal would be to add something like the following to my .emacs
file, only with proper syntax:

(global-set-key "\WINDOWS-z" 'scroll-other-window-down)

* Re: key binding with windows and menu keys
@ 2005-08-14  2:23 Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2005-08-14  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

       I've been googling for answers, but can't figure out what to call
       the windows key.

Do:
man xev

then:
xev
<windows>
C-c
--
Sean Sieger

* Re: key binding with windows and menu keys
@ 2005-08-14  2:35 Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2005-08-14  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

       xev
       <windows>
       C-c

Pardon, not C-c: Alt-F4
--
Sean Sieger

* Re: key binding with windows and menu keys
       [not found] <mailman.3675.1123988380.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-08-14  4:44 ` Tyler
From: Tyler @ 2005-08-14  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

hmm. Alt-F4 switches me to desktop four, as I'm running the fluxbox
windows manager. I read the xev manual, but it was a little terse for my
limited experience. From the xev output it appears as if my windows keys
are called Super_L and Super_R, but when I try:

(global-set-key [Super_L-z] 'scroll-other-window-down)

nothing happens. Same result with just Super-z. What am I doing wrong? I
have also tried with "s-z" to no effect.

Thanks,

Tyler

@ 2005-08-14  8:58   ` Friedrich Laher
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3737.1124042549.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Friedrich Laher @ 2005-08-14  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some windowmanagers grab that event.

You might have to reassign the symbol sent by it with xkeycaps - but
thats systemwide then.

@ 2005-08-14 17:48   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3737.1124042549.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-08-14 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.08.2005 um 06:44 schrieb Tyler:

> (global-set-key [Super_L-z] 'scroll-other-window-down)

Try it with lower case `s´, i.e. (global-set-key [s-z]
'scroll-other-window-down).

Capital `S´ is the Shift key. So it's indeed C-M-S-v that scrolls the
other window. (And C-M-v too, only in the other direction.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Without vi there is only GNU Emacs

@ 2005-08-15  1:45     ` Tyler
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3777.1124085510.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tyler @ 2005-08-15  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work either. I found a
solution, although I still can't use my 'windows' key. Instead I use the
alt-up and alt-down combo, which does what i wanted without using a
previously assigned key combo or the mysterious windows key:

(global-set-key [M-up] 'scroll-other-window-down)
(global-set-key [M-down] 'scroll-other-window)

Thanks again for the help, and if anyone knows another way to get at the
windows key...

Tyler

@ 2005-08-15  5:41       ` Angelina Carlton
       [not found]       ` <mailman.3777.1124085510.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2005-08-15  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> writes:
> Thanks again for the help, and if anyone knows another way to get at
> the windows key...

I asked in irc about this and for me, on Debian unstable this works:

run xkbprint :0.0 /tmp/o.ps
this makes a diagram of your layout

gv /tmp/o.ps
take a look at what the keys are, my left logo key is F13 key 115,
my right logo key is Super_R key 116

so the command:
xmodmap -e "keycode 115 = F13" enables the left logo key
(i placed this command in my xfce4 start up script)

Then in my .emacs

;; Jump to other window
(global-set-key [(f13)] 'other-window)

hopefully that works for you too.

(thank you edrx in irc!)

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net

@ 2005-08-15 13:09         ` Tyler
From: Tyler @ 2005-08-15 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wow, that's perfect! It works just as you said, and it's a great idea to
have it bound to the other-window command as well. Thanks for the tip!

Tyler

@ 2005-08-15 14:35           ` Angelina Carlton
       [not found]             ` <mailman.3819.1124119132.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2005-08-15 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tyler <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca> writes:

> Wow, that's perfect! It works just as you said, and it's a great idea to
> have it bound to the other-window command as well. Thanks for the tip!

There is one problem however, 2 of my computers do not run X and
consequently do not have the xmodmap command. So If I am working on them
in the console or via ssh I have to maintain my old key binding and try
to remember not to press the windows logo key instead.

I will try to figure out how to enable these keys in non X environment an
let you know, perhaps someone already knows how to do this?

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net

* Re: key binding with windows and menu keys
@ 2005-08-15 15:12             ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]             ` <mailman.3819.1124119132.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-08-15 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 15.08.2005 um 16:35 schrieb Angelina Carlton:

> There is one problem however, 2 of my computers do not run X and
> consequently do not have the xmodmap command. So If I am working on
> them
> in the console or via ssh I have to maintain my old key binding and try
> to remember not to press the windows logo key instead.
>
> I will try to figure out how to enable these keys in non X environment
> an
> let you know, perhaps someone already knows how to do this?

Is C-h k <Windows key+another key> returns just <another key>?

If not, you could by hand 'M-x global-set-key <the combination> RET
scroll-other-window RET C-x ESC ESC C-a C-k C-g' -- bind the key and
start to repeat-previous-command. The cursor goes into the minibuffer,
where you put it at the beginning and then kill the whole line. Now an
interrupt, and you're ready to yank/paste the valid ELisp expression
into .emacs ... it wouldn't look pretty with a number instead of
symbols (that's what I am used from X11 or Apple's Aqua), but it would
work.

--

@ 2005-08-15 22:59               ` Tyler
From: Tyler @ 2005-08-15 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Pete, that's great. I've now got access to the windows keys,
either by labelling them with xmodmap or using the quoted number. The
only problem now is figuring out which keys to bind to which commands!

Tyler

@ 2005-08-16  8:49                 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-08-16  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.08.2005 um 00:59 schrieb Tyler:

> The only problem now is figuring out which keys to bind to which
> commands!

Yeah -- this can give some headache!

--
Greetings

   Pete
               <\
                 \__     O                       __O
                 | O\   _\\/\-%                _`\<,
                 '()-'-(_)--(_)               (_)/(_)

* Re: key binding with windows and menu keys
@ 2005-08-16 13:21               ` Angelina Carlton
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2005-08-16 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is C-h k <Windows key+another key> returns just <another key>?

For me it returns: ~
That is, if I press win-logo in a writable buffer, it prints a ~ and
beeps my terminal. If the buffer is not writable it simply beeps.

> If not, you could by hand 'M-x global-set-key <the combination> RET
> scroll-other-window RET C-x ESC ESC C-a C-k C-g' -- bind the key and
> start to repeat-previous-command. The cursor goes into the minibuffer,
> where you put it at the beginning and then kill the whole line. Now an
> interrupt, and you're ready to yank/paste the valid ELisp expression
> into .emacs ... it wouldn't look pretty with a number instead of
> symbols (that's what I am used from X11 or Apple's Aqua), but it would
> work.

So trying by hand, M-x global-set-key NET <virology> NET
puts this in my mini buffer:

Set key ESC [ 2 5 to command: ~

I deleted the ~ and typed other-window and then did the
ESC ESC stuff you mentioned. to get:

Redo: (global-set-key "^[[25" (quote other-window))

So i have tried in my .mics:
(global-set-key "^[[25" (quote other-window))
and
(global-set-key "^[[25" 'other-window)

And now it does switch windows but prints the tilde also :-\

How can get rid of the tilde?

Thanks for the help!

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net

@ 2005-08-16 17:33                 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-08-16 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 16.08.2005 um 15:21 schrieb Angelina Carlton:

>> Is C-h k <Windows key+another key> returns just <another key>?
>
> For me it returns: ~
> That is, if I press win-logo in a writable buffer, it prints a ~ and
> beeps my terminal. If the buffer is not writable it simply beeps.

For me it's not clear whether you really press two keys ...

The Windows key is presumed to be some modifier key, like Shift, Meta,
Control, super, or hyper. (It does not work alone, only when pressed
with one another non-modifier key.) What this key is doing is easy to
find out: in *scratch* buffer C-q <Windows key>. It there is nothing
coming, i.e. you see in minibuffer C-q- constantly, then it *is* a
modifier key (press <any key> to finish input). You can now go to check
what input is produced when you press C-q <Windows key+another key> ...

If you see something like ESC [ 2 5 ~ then your keyboard is in some
ANSI/vt keyboard mode. lisp/term/lk201.el already contains a definition
for that key:

	(define-key function-key-map "\e[25~" [f13])

So you should try to load/require that ELisp file in .emacs (if it does
not get loaded automatically; check the *Messages* buffer for that).
Then you have that key defined as f13. Now you can bind f13 to some
function ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

   It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
		-- 	Garfield

* Re: key binding with windows and menu keys
@ 2005-08-16 18:41                   ` Angelina Carlton
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.4032.1124278522.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2005-08-16 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> For me it's not clear whether you really press two keys ...

Yes sorry I wasn't clear, it wont even register the second key press and
went immediately to describing the first key press.

> The Windows key is presumed to be some modifier key, like Shift, Meta,
> Control, super, or hyper. (It does not work alone, only when pressed
> with one another non-modifier key.) What this key is doing is easy to
> find out: in *scratch* buffer C-q <Windows key>. It there is nothing
> coming, i.e. you see in minibuffer C-q- constantly, then it *is* a
> modifier key (press <any key> to finish input). You can now go to
> check what input is produced when you press C-q <Windows key+another
> key> ...

> If you see something like ESC [ 2 5 ~ then your keyboard is in some
> ANSI/vt keyboard mode. lisp/term/lk201.el already contains a
> definition for that key:

> 	(define-key function-key-map "\e[25~" [f13])

This works perfectly. Thank you very for the help!
--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net

* Re: key binding with windows and menu keys
@ 2005-08-17 11:09                   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.4032.1124278522.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-08-17 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs list

Hello!

Have you both tried too to bind the function scroll-other-window-down
to a key? Maybe Shift-<Windows key> or Shift-<Windows key + the other
key>?

I often scroll back ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

"engineer: a mechanism for converting caffeine into designs"

@ 2005-08-17 13:13                     ` Tyler
From: Tyler @ 2005-08-17 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs list

Yes, that's what got me started on this little project in the first
place. I've now got scroll-other-window(-down) bound to M-down and M-up,
respectively, as well as to <windows>-, and <windows>-.  with switch to
other window on <windows>-/. When I decide which way I like it best I'll
delete the extra bindings, and I'm going to add something for C-x b,
which I also use alot.

Thanks again for your help!

Tyler