Stefan Monnier writes (in gnu-emacs-sources): > > I'd point out that fill-nobreak-predicate is a hook in recent > versions of Emacs I notice the manual still only says nil or a function. Perhaps something like the following (new text for ease of reading, diff below), The variable `fill-nobreak-predicate' is a hook (an abnormal hook, *note Hooks::) specifying additional conditions where line-breaking is not allowed. Each function is called with no arguments and should return a non-`nil' value if point is not a good place to break the line. Two standard functions you can use are `fill-single-word-nobreak-p' (don't break after the first word of a sentence or before the last) and `fill-french-nobreak-p' (don't break after `(' or before `)', `:' or `?'). 2005-08-27 Kevin Ryde * text.texi (Fill Commands): fill-nobreak-predicate is now a hook.