all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem with vc-svn + tramp.
@ 2005-05-29 22:59 George Nurser
From: George Nurser @ 2005-05-29 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using emacs 22.0.50, running on a powerbook. When I use tramp to
edit a file in a subversion directory by doing ssh onto a SUN
workstation, it seems to automatically switch on the vc-svn mode. It
then keeps failing, with the message

vc-do-command: Running svn...FAILED (status 127)

If I switch on 'Enter debugger on error' from the options menu and try
to save a file I have modified
(/ssh:nilas:/data/jrd/occamd/AGN_MODEL/SUBVERSION/SOURCE/Makefile), I
get a trace ending with:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Running svn...FAILED (status
127)")
   signal(error ("Running svn...FAILED (status 127)"))
   error("Running %s...FAILED (%s)" "svn" "status 127")
   vc-do-command(t 0 "svn"
"/ssh:nilas:/data/jrd/occamd/AGN_MODEL/SUBVERSION/SOURCE/Makefile"
"status" "-v")
   apply(vc-do-command t 0 "svn"
"/ssh:nilas:/data/jrd/occamd/AGN_MODEL/SUBVERSION/SOURCE/Makefile"
("status" "-v"))
   vc-svn-command(t 0
"/ssh:nilas:/data/jrd/occamd/AGN_MODEL/SUBVERSION/SOURCE/Makefile"
"status" "-v")

vc-svn-registered("/ssh:nilas:/data/jrd/occamd/AGN_MODEL/SUBVERSION/
SOURCE/Makefile")
   apply(vc-svn-registered
"/ssh:nilas:/data/jrd/occamd/AGN_MODEL/SUBVERSION/SOURCE/Makefile")

The important thing when i am working remotely is to be able to edit
files; being able to perform the svn actions from emacs is not so
crucial, so if anybody can tell me an easy way to switch off the vc-svn
mode, that would be very helpful as a start.

I can edit the file OK if I do it through drag & drop & Samba. However,
as I use fortran *.F and *.f files, & samba is case insesnitive, emacs
eventually becomes confused. Hence I prefer tramp.

Incidentally, now does the vc-svn mode compare with the psvn.el
available at http://www.xsteve.at/prg/vc_svn/ ? The svn commands from
this do seem to work with the older version emacs (21.3.50 I think)
that we have on the SUNs.

Any ideas appreciated. George Nurser.

* Re: problem with vc-svn + tramp.
       [not found] <mailman.2356.1117407751.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-12-14  4:06 ` Emory Smith
From: Emory Smith @ 2005-12-14  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

George Nurser <agn@noc.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> I am using emacs 22.0.50, running on a powerbook. When I use tramp to
> edit a file in a subversion directory by doing ssh onto a SUN
> workstation, it seems to automatically switch on the vc-svn mode. It
> then keeps failing, with the message
>
> vc-do-command: Running svn...FAILED (status 127)

ive had a lot trouble with this as well.

heres a simple fix that works great for me.

find the following function in vc-svn.el:

(defun vc-svn-registered (file)
  "Check if FILE is SVN registered."
  (when (file-readable-p (expand-file-name ".svn/entries"
					   (file-name-directory file)))
    (with-temp-buffer
      (cd (file-name-directory file))
      (condition-case nil
	  (vc-svn-command t 0 file "status" "-v")
	;; We can't find an `svn' executable.  We could also deregister SVN.
	(file-error nil))
      (vc-svn-parse-status t)
      (eq 'SVN (vc-file-getprop file 'vc-backend)))))

and replace it with:

(defun vc-svn-registered (file)
  "Check if FILE is SVN registered."
  nil)

this effectively disables vc-svn for all files. im sure theres a
simpler / more elegant way of doing this ... (anyone?)

do note that you will no longer be able to use vc-svn if you do it
this way.

> Incidentally, now does the vc-svn mode compare with the psvn.el
> available at http://www.xsteve.at/prg/vc_svn/ ?

i have not used vc-svn recently, but i find psvn mode to work
great. be sure to update psvn.el it regularly, as it is improved on
almost a daily basis (and if you find it to be lacking some feature,
you can email xsteve and youll probably find it included a few days
later!)

-emory

* Re: problem with vc-svn + tramp.
@ 2005-12-15  5:31   ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2005-12-15  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emory Smith <emory.smith@gmail.com> writes:

> George Nurser <agn@noc.soton.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> I am using emacs 22.0.50, running on a powerbook. When I use tramp to
>> edit a file in a subversion directory by doing ssh onto a SUN
>> workstation, it seems to automatically switch on the vc-svn mode. It
>> then keeps failing, with the message
>>
>> vc-do-command: Running svn...FAILED (status 127)
>
> ive had a lot trouble with this as well.
>
> heres a simple fix that works great for me.
>
> find the following function in vc-svn.el:
>
> (defun vc-svn-registered (file)
>   "Check if FILE is SVN registered."
>   (when (file-readable-p (expand-file-name ".svn/entries"
> 					   (file-name-directory file)))
>     (with-temp-buffer
>       (cd (file-name-directory file))
>       (condition-case nil
> 	  (vc-svn-command t 0 file "status" "-v")
> 	;; We can't find an `svn' executable.  We could also deregister SVN.
> 	(file-error nil))
>       (vc-svn-parse-status t)
>       (eq 'SVN (vc-file-getprop file 'vc-backend)))))
>
> and replace it with:
>
> (defun vc-svn-registered (file)
>   "Check if FILE is SVN registered."
>   nil)
>
> this effectively disables vc-svn for all files. im sure theres a
> simpler / more elegant way of doing this ... (anyone?)

Stefan Monnier and I just made some changes to that function to fix a
problem that it had when you were editing files that you could not
write. Perhaps that's the problem you both describe? Please check out
the latest and see how it works for you.

>> Incidentally, now does the vc-svn mode compare with the psvn.el
>> available at http://www.xsteve.at/prg/vc_svn/ ?

psvn.el is to vc-svn.el as pcvs.el is to vc-cvs.el. It's essentially a
dired view of your files.