Well, this discussion has probably been made a few times, but I can't find a thread. First, some facts: - Whitespace cleanup considers 8 (and only 8) spaces to be a tabulation, and discards the fact that `tab-width' could have been changed. - On the contrary, `tabify' uses `tab-width'. And this is inconsistent, as I see whitespace-cleanup as a super tabify.delete-trailing-whitespace.do-some-magic function. Second, a « mylife » part: My company uses « tab » as indentation char. Not two spaces, not whatever, but tabs. And it looks, well, IMHO, awful. For MY (very own) eyes, I wish I could see tabs as 2 spaces, and this is hopefully possible in the Mighty Editor by setting `tab-width' to 2. Is it completely politically incorrect (or simply wrong) to consider such a patch :