all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Changing working Directory useing abbrev ??
@ 2007-04-29 17:00 William Case
From: William Case @ 2007-04-29 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EMACS List

Hi;

I have the following path abbrevs in my ~/.emacs:
 '(directory-abbrev-alist (quote (("ppprac" .
"/home/bill/Docs/Stuff/PHPprac/") ("ocrepo" . "/home/bill/OclugRepo")
("workem" . "/home/bill/Docs/Work/emacs/"))))

These abbrevs work with my find-file command.  i.e C-x C-f RET workem
RET opens a new dired buffer "/home/bill/Docs/Work/emacs/" -- which is
what I want.

On the other hand, when I try 'M-x cd RET workem RET ' ( and various
imaginative variations) I get '[no match]'.

How can I use my path abbrevs to change to a new pwd??

Oh, by the way, I have googled and info-ed indeed.  I am still not used
to using all the correct search criteria, so the explanation is there
somewhere I am sure, but I can't find it.

--
Regards Bill

* Re: Changing working Directory useing abbrev ??
@ 2007-04-30  3:31 ` Sebastian P. Luque
From: Sebastian P. Luque @ 2007-04-30  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 13:00:44 -0400,
William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:

[...]

> How can I use my path abbrevs to change to a new pwd??

> Oh, by the way, I have googled and info-ed indeed.  I am still not used
> to using all the correct search criteria, so the explanation is there
> somewhere I am sure, but I can't find it.

I'm not familiar with such directory abbreviations, but for this
functionality I like bookmarks; 'C-x r m' for creating a new one
(e.g. dired buffers), 'C-x r b' for jumping to one.  Have a look.

--
Seb

* Re: Changing working Directory useing abbrev ?? -- [SOLVED]
@ 2007-04-30  5:31   ` William Case
From: William Case @ 2007-04-30  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian P. Luque; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Sebastion;

I finally figured out how it works.

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 22:31 -0500, Sebastian P. Luque wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 13:00:44 -0400,
> William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > How can I use my path abbrevs to change to a new pwd??
>
> > Oh, by the way, I have googled and info-ed indeed.  I am still not used
> > to using all the correct search criteria, so the explanation is there
> > somewhere I am sure, but I can't find it.
>
> I'm not familiar with such directory abbreviations, but for this
> functionality I like bookmarks; 'C-x r m' for creating a new one
> (e.g. dired buffers), 'C-x r b' for jumping to one.  Have a look.

It's not intuitive to me but it works.  I wanted to set a new pwd before
visiting files or creating new ones.  You know, set it up before I start
working and then be free to bop around and know I will always get back
to my working directory.

I now I see I can do that with 'find-file' and directory-abbrev-alist +
bookmarks.  I still feels counter-intuitive but I'll get used to it.

I believe I might be able to create environmental constants and use cd
$CONSTANT, but that seems like more trouble than it is worth.

Thanks for your tip -- it got me re-thinking the whole thing.

--
Regards Bill