all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Message goto signature
@ 2009-03-05 12:58 Francis Moreau
       [not found] ` <mailman.2434.1236273540.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-03-05 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm wondering if that possible to get message-goto-signature to move
_before_ the signature instead of after.

Thanks
--
Francis

* Re: Message goto signature
@ 2009-03-05 17:18 ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2445.1236281343.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.2434.1236273540.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-03-05 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:  > I'm wondering if
that possible to get message-goto-signature to move > _before_ the
signature instead of after.

Do you mean before the /separator/?  It should already move to the
beginning of the signature.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Broken quotations (was: Message goto signature)
       [not found] ` <mailman.2434.1236273540.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-05 17:50   ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2009-03-05 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaj Schumacher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-03-05 18:18 (+0100), Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:  > I'm wondering if that
> possible to get message-goto-signature to move > _before_ the signature
> instead of after.
>
> Do you mean before the /separator/?  It should already move to the
> beginning of the signature.

In case you are not seeing this with your own email/news client I'd like
to point out that your quotations look like this:

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:  > I'm wondering if that
possible to get message-goto-signature to move > _before_ the signature
instead of after.

Example message in Gmane archive:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/62618/focus=62627

* Re: Message goto signature
@ 2009-03-05 19:28   ` Francis Moreau
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2445.1236281343.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-03-05 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nikolaj Schumacher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> writes:

> Do you mean before the /separator/?  It should already move to the
> beginning of the signature.

Yes I mean before the separator.

I usually want to move to the bottom of the email body when replying,
so I would find more convenient if the cursor is moved before the
separator.

Actually I don't see any use case where moving between the separator
and the signature is usefull...

Thanks
--
Francis

* Re: Message goto signature
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2445.1236281343.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-03-05 20:23     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-03-05 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> writes:
>
>> Do you mean before the /separator/?  It should already move to the
>> beginning of the signature.
>
> Yes I mean before the separator.
>
> I usually want to move to the bottom of the email body when replying,
> so I would find more convenient if the cursor is moved before the
> separator.
>
> Actually I don't see any use case where moving between the separator
> and the signature is usefull...
>
> Thanks

Just as some bg info, I believe the cursor is put at the start to
encourage you to snip replies.

I think this code that follows is bad style in so many ways, but
something like this. I guess you would use a backward search for sig
separator function instead but this works for now:

(defadvice message-goto-signature (after message-goto-signature
activate)(progn (previous-line)(previous-line)))

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970

* Re: Message goto signature
@ 2009-03-05 21:16       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-03-05 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Mar 05 2009, Richard Riley wrote:

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>> Actually I don't see any use case where moving between the separator
>> and the signature is usefull...

To edit the signature?

`message-goto-signature' is used in several other functions.

> Just as some bg info, I believe the cursor is put at the start to
> encourage you to snip replies.

Correct.

> I think this code that follows is bad style in so many ways, but
> something like this. I guess you would use a backward search for sig
> separator function instead but this works for now:
>
> (defadvice message-goto-signature (after message-goto-signature
> activate)(progn (previous-line)(previous-line)))

I'm quite sure this would break several Gnus functions.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Message goto signature
@ 2009-03-05 21:30         ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-03-05 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Thu, Mar 05 2009, Richard Riley wrote:
>
>> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Actually I don't see any use case where moving between the separator
>>> and the signature is usefull...
>
> To edit the signature?
>
> `message-goto-signature' is used in several other functions.
>
>> Just as some bg info, I believe the cursor is put at the start to
>> encourage you to snip replies.
>
> Correct.
>
>> I think this code that follows is bad style in so many ways, but
>> something like this. I guess you would use a backward search for sig
>> separator function instead but this works for now:
>>
>> (defadvice message-goto-signature (after message-goto-signature
>> activate)(progn (previous-line)(previous-line)))
>
> I'm quite sure this would break several Gnus functions.
>
> Bye, Reiner.

Thank god I heavily caveated it then :-;

--

@ 2009-03-05 21:32       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-03-05 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Just as some bg info, I believe the cursor is put at the start to
> encourage you to snip replies.

Perhaps, but when I don't need to snip replies and want to got to the
bottom article then goto signature doesn't do the right thing.
--
Francis

* Re: Message goto signature
@ 2009-03-05 21:35         ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-03-05 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Thu, Mar 05 2009, Richard Riley wrote:
>
>> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Actually I don't see any use case where moving between the separator
>>> and the signature is usefull...
>
> To edit the signature?

Hmm do you usually edit your signature ?

I don't and never have the need. But the fact is I usually need to go
to the bottom of the body.

thanks
--
Francis

* Re: Message goto signature
@ 2009-03-05 23:03           ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-03-05 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:

>> To edit the signature?
>>

> Hmm do you usually edit your signature ?
>
> I don't and never have the need. But the fact is I usually need to go
> to the bottom of the body.
>
> thanks

This works for followup:

(defadvice gnus-summary-followup (after followup-sig
activate)(progn (message-goto-signature)(previous-line)(previous-line)))

And this for reply:

(defadvice gnus-summary-reply-with-original (after reply-sig
activate)(progn (message-goto-signature)(previous-line)(previous-line)))

I dont know if there is a better way than previous-line.

I am assuming its cleaner to do it at this level then
message-goto-signature

--

@ 2009-03-06  8:47             ` Francis Moreau
       [not found]             ` <mailman.2485.1236331510.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-03-06  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 6, 12:03 am, Richard Riley <rileyrg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gm...@imap.cc> writes:

> >> To edit the signature?
>
> > Hmm do you usually edit your signature ?
>
> > I don't and never have the need. But the fact is I usually need to go
> > to the bottom of the body.
>
> > thanks
>
> This works for followup:
>
> (defadvice gnus-summary-followup (after followup-sig
> activate)(progn (message-goto-signature)(previous-line)(previous-line)))
>
> And this for reply:
>
> (defadvice gnus-summary-reply-with-original (after reply-sig
> activate)(progn (message-goto-signature)(previous-line)(previous-line)))
>
> I dont know if there is a better way than previous-line.
>
> I am assuming its cleaner to do it at this level then
> message-goto-signature

Thanks for this.

But the point of my initial question was about the default behaviour
of goto-signature.
I don't see the point why it puts the cursor where it does so I was
asking in case I
miss something.

thanks

* Re: Message goto signature
@ 2009-03-06  9:24             ` Nikolaj Schumacher
       [not found]             ` <mailman.2485.1236331510.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-03-06  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:  > This works for
followup: > > (defadvice gnus-summary-followup (after followup-sig
> activate)(progn
(message-goto-signature)(previous-line)(previous-line))) > > And
this for reply: > > (defadvice gnus-summary-reply-with-original
(after reply-sig > activate)(progn
(message-goto-signature)(previous-line)(previous-line))) > > I
dont know if there is a better way than previous-line.

previous-line should be fine in this case, but the advice is
unneccessary (and always potentially dangerous).

The cleanest way is to just define a new command:

(defun message-goto-before-signature () "Move point before the
  beginning of the message signature separator."  (interactive)
  (message-goto-signature) (forward-line -1))

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: Broken quotations
@ 2009-03-06  9:31     ` Nikolaj Schumacher
From: Nikolaj Schumacher @ 2009-03-06  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> In case you are not seeing this with your own email/news client I'd like
> to point out that your quotations look like this:
>
> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:  > I'm wondering if that
> possible to get message-goto-signature to move > _before_ the signature
> instead of after.

Thanks.
Must have been caused by use-hard-newlines.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

* Re: Message goto signature
@ 2009-03-06 14:02               ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-03-06 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 6, 12:03 am, Richard Riley <rileyrg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:

>> > Hmm do you usually edit your signature ?
>>
>> > I don't and never have the need. But the fact is I usually need to go
>> > to the bottom of the body.
>>
>> > thanks
>>
>> This works for followup:
>>
>> (defadvice gnus-summary-followup (after followup-sig
>> activate)(progn (message-goto-signature)(previous-line)(previous-line)))
>>
>> And this for reply:
>>
>> (defadvice gnus-summary-reply-with-original (after reply-sig
>> activate)(progn (message-goto-signature)(previous-line)(previous-line)))
>>
>> I dont know if there is a better way than previous-line.
>>
>> I am assuming its cleaner to do it at this level then
>> message-goto-signature
>>

> Thanks for this.
>
> But the point of my initial question was about the default behaviour
> of goto-signature.
> I don't see the point why it puts the cursor where it does so I was
> asking in case I
> miss something.

Oh, I thought you were looking for a solution to put your cursor where
you wanted to type on reply/followup. In fact I'm certain it was :-;

,----
| I don't and never have the need. But the fact is I usually need to go
| to the bottom of the body.
`----

In that case I can help.

The function is called "goto-signature", not "goto-end-of.article" :-)

So it works as designed I think. And correctly.

--

@ 2009-03-06 14:03               ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-03-06 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:  > This works for
> followup: > > (defadvice gnus-summary-followup (after followup-sig
>> activate)(progn
> (message-goto-signature)(previous-line)(previous-line))) > > And this
> for reply: > > (defadvice gnus-summary-reply-with-original (after
> reply-sig > activate)(progn
> (message-goto-signature)(previous-line)(previous-line))) > > I dont
> know if there is a better way than previous-line.
>
> previous-line should be fine in this case, but the advice is
> unneccessary (and always potentially dangerous).
>
> The cleanest way is to just define a new command:
>
> (defun message-goto-before-signature () "Move point before the
> beginning of the message signature separator."  (interactive)
> (message-goto-signature) (forward-line -1))
>

> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher

yes, but how to automatically call the function. Can you explain why the
advice is dangerous? It seems to be reasonable in this context.

--

@ 2009-03-06 18:07                 ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-03-06 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> The function is called "goto-signature", not "goto-end-of.article" :-)

Yes but what the point to give 'goto-signature' if it's not usefull at
all. Why not giving 'goto-end-of-body' in the first place ?
--
Francis

* Re: Message goto signature
@ 2009-03-06 18:21                   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-03-06 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> The function is called "goto-signature", not "goto-end-of.article" :-)
>>

> Yes but what the point to give 'goto-signature' if it's not usefull at
> all. Why not giving 'goto-end-of-body' in the first place ?

I guess if we were to second guess every API in the world we'd be here
from now to eternity :-;

But one solution emailed to me kindly by Nikolas is:

,----
| (defun message-goto-end-of-article ()
|   (interactive)
|   (unless (re-search-forward message-signature-separator nil t)
|     (goto-char (point-max))))
|
| (defun message-cite-before-point-original-without-signature ()
|   (message-cite-original-without-signature)
|   (message-goto-end-of-article))
|
| (setq message-cite-function
|       'message-cite-before-point-original-without-signature)
`----

This searches for the regexp which define a .signature.

--

@ 2009-03-06 20:24                     ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-03-06 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:
>>

>>> The function is called "goto-signature", not "goto-end-of.article" :-)
>>>

>> Yes but what the point to give 'goto-signature' if it's not usefull at
>> all. Why not giving 'goto-end-of-body' in the first place ?
>
> I guess if we were to second guess every API in the world we'd be here
> from now to eternity :-;

yeah, but usually they make sense but in that case I was asking each
time I press C-c C-i when replying...

> But one solution emailed to me kindly by Nikolas is:

Thanks to both of you, I can just remap my "C-c C-i" binding.

--
Francis

* Re: Message goto signature
@ 2009-03-07  9:59                 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-03-07  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Mar 06 2009, Richard Riley wrote:

> Can you explain why the advice is dangerous? It seems to be
> reasonable in this context.

Because the advice modifies the behavior of `message-goto-signature'
is used in several other functions so these won't work as designed
anymore.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,