Dear sirs, This is just a quick thought and proposal to replace Emacs etc/HELLO file. As Emacs 23 fully supports UCS/Unicode now, etc/HELLO file may be extended, so that it covers the languages and scripts that had not been covered by the previous Emacs versions. Also, HELLO file may contain symbols and rare or ancient scripts, so that it contains at least one character from each UCS/Unicode blocks. That would help Emacs users to quick-check which fonts their Emacsen are missing. I've collected the "Hello" entries from various on-line dictionaries over the Internet (especially omniglot.com is useful). Languages are selected so that at most two or three languages are shown for each script (except Latin script, which has several significant languages). I gathered scripts that I could not find "Hello" entries to separate entries, and classified them by writing directions. The proposed etc/HELLO file attached below may contain some inappropriateness or mistakes, which I appreciate if someone could point out or fix. Also, most of script samples merely line up the characters. Refining them to meaningful text is also appreciated. ===================== The quickest way to view all characters in this HELLO.txt file is to install "Code2000" font, Mr. George Douros's Unicode Symbol font, "MPH Damase 2D" font and Cyrillic font by BukyVede. That would cover most of Unicode 5.1 characters. Beside them, specific Tibetan, Tagalog, Arabic Supplement, Sinhalese and Sundanese font fill the gap. Still, Font for "New Tai Lue", "Balinease", "Lepcha" and few other script seems not available freely for now.