all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 23 info files problem
@ 2009-09-05  2:38 David Hodge
From: David Hodge @ 2009-09-05  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

Using the 23.1 emacs snapshot on Ubuntu Jaunty.

When I try to use info I get the following behaviour

1. Selecting Info  from the toolbar Help menu or  C-h r  (ie read the emacs
manual) i get

info-file-exists-p: Wrong number of arguments: #[(filename suffix lfn) "\bƒ\b

* Re: Emacs 23 info files problem
@ 2009-09-05  6:44 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.6070.1252145798.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-09-05  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: David Hodge <dbh@NOSPAMhodge.id.au>
> Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 10:38:53 +0800
>
> 1. Selecting Info  from the toolbar Help menu or  C-h r  (ie read the emacs
> manual) i get
>
> info-file-exists-p: Wrong number of arguments: #[(filename suffix lfn) "\bƒ\b
> P‡Æ	!^[ÇÈ	G\vGÉ#]\x1cÊ\x1d\fÇXƒ(	‰GSHË=ƒ4
> GÇU„4
> ÉÊO\x12\fÇÌ
> GZ]^\x15	Ç	G\f
> ZZO
> P+‡"
>

> 2. Doing it the second time gives me the info directory, with the error in
> an electric buffer that disappears.

I cannot reproduce this, but I'm not on Ubuntu, so maybe this is
something specific to the Ubuntu setup or your personal setup.  Do you
have the environment variable INFOPATH set, and if so, to what value?
Do you get the same problems when you invoke Emacs with the -Q switch?

> If someone has advice of where i could start looking for the problem,
> I'd be greateful.

If the above questions don't give a clue, then I'd suggest manually
Info, so that the error message above would at least show
human-readable backtrace.  Then you could look at the respective Lisp
code and try to figure out what exactly went wrong and why.

* Re: Emacs 23 info files problem
@ 2009-09-05 10:16 ` Andreas Politz
       [not found] ` <mailman.6070.1252145798.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-09-05 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Hodge <dbh@NOSPAMhodge.id.au> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Using the 23.1 emacs snapshot on Ubuntu Jaunty.
>
> When I try to use info I get the following behaviour
>
> 1. Selecting Info  from the toolbar Help menu or  C-h r  (ie read the emacs
> manual) i get
>
> info-file-exists-p: Wrong number of arguments: #[(filename suffix lfn) "\bƒ\b

A while ago the debian people decided that the emacs manual does not
meet their idea of free software and they put it in the non-free
section.

$ aptitude show emacs23-common-non-dfsg

Package: emacs23-common-non-dfsg
State: installed
 GNU Emacs is the extensible self-documenting text editor.  This package
 contains the architecture independent infrastructure that is not
 compliant with the Debian Free Software Guidelines.  In particular,
 this includes some of the GNU Emacs info pages, as they are covered
 under the GFDL, and they specify invariant sections. See
 http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001 for more information.

Check if that package is installed on your system.

-ap

@ 2009-09-05 11:14   ` David Hodge
From: David Hodge @ 2009-09-05 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Eli and Andreas!

Your hints were enough to help track down the offender, which happened
to be a very out-of-date info+.el lying around in my loadpath.

Cheers