all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Current CEDET version in the trunk
@ 2010-07-14  0:50 Christoph
From: Christoph @ 2010-07-14  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: eric

Hi Eric and all,

Inspired by the current CEDET discussion, I decided to seriously try out
Semantic from Emacs 24.0.50 (trunk) today.

Going through the Semantic manual I tried all kinds of things to figure
out what the current state of the integration with Emacs is.

The Semantic manual is a good way to get started, but there are quite a
few things that do not work according to the manual and it is not
obvious how to make it work. For example, using Smart completion (with
semantic-complete-analyze-inline) the manual says that M-n/M-p select
the next/previous matches. This does not work. M-n/M-p does nothing. C-h
k in this mode says, the keys are not assigned to anything.

I assume this is because of the current state of the integration?

Nevertheless, I am liking what I see so far. (External) CEDET always
seemed like this big monster that was complicated to set up and use, but
with a tight native integration with Emacs things like Semantic are set
out to be a killer feature.

Maybe we should better integrate and polish certain features one at a
time. Semantic seems like a great first choice to me. Semantic-based
completion and code browsing out of the box. I still have not been able
to integrate ctags/etags/xyztags satisfactorily and there is always so
much fiddling involved with tags tables etc. And it's hard to argue that
IntelliSense is one area where VS and Co. have a competitive advantage
over Emacs. It just works out of the box.

Is anybody actively working on integrating CEDET better with Emacs right
now? Or do we just merge the snapshots into the trunk?

Now, going through the manual and playing with it I found quite a few
inconsistencies/bugs. Where is the right place to report those? The GNU
bug tracker or the Sourceforge tracker?

Christoph