all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About mailing lists & digest mails: MIME mails from emacs mailing lists
@ 2010-09-16  3:08 dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2010-09-16  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Development

Hello,
 I subscribe to digest mails on emacs-devel list. Though I use MIME
format, I do not get topics in the digest mail with hyperlinks to
jump to that topic in the mail. I have subscribed to some google
groups and the digest mail from google-groups comes with topics having
hyperrlinks
to the sections in the mail. This helps me in not having to scroll
down and rather just jump to the mail I am interested in. Is this
feasible (some configuration
tweak in mailman)?

-dhruva

PS:
 I had long back sent a RFE to mailman dev but did not hear. Since I
have not explored mailman myself, I cannot conclude.

* Re: About mailing lists & digest mails: MIME mails from emacs mailing lists
@ 2010-09-16  3:55 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-09-16  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Emacs Development

dhruva wrote:

>  I subscribe to digest mails on emacs-devel list. Though I use MIME
> format, I do not get topics in the digest mail with hyperlinks to
> jump to that topic in the mail.
[...]
> Is this feasible (some configuration tweak in mailman)?

The bug-gnu-emacs list runs in the same Mailman instance, and I cannot
see that there are any options that can be set that would do what you
ask. So I'm pretty sure it's the same story for emacs-devel.

Doesn't your mail client have a burst digest feature? Eg Rmail has M-x
undigestify-rmail-message. And the Gnus manual mentions something
similar.

* About mailing lists & digest mails: MIME mails from emacs mailing lists
@ 2010-09-16  3:56 ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2010-09-16  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Emacs Development

dhruva writes:

 >  I subscribe to digest mails on emacs-devel list. Though I use MIME
 > format, I do not get topics in the digest mail with hyperlinks to
 > jump to that topic in the mail.

That's right.  Mailman uses plain or MIME digests, not HTML digests.
Please followup to mailman-developers@python.org, preferably with a
patch.

Rationale:

It would not be that hard to add to Mailman an HTML digest generator
that could be used by a text-only list like emacs-devel, and a
per-user option to enable it.  But I doubt that any of the usual
suspects will volunteer to do so, because it would not be generally
useful.  Rather, most people would want it to work with all kinds of
mail in the digest, and that would be a lot of work to do at all, and
very hard to do acceptably well.

OTOH, a MIME digest is simply a sequence of RFC 822 message parts, so
navigation is trivial.  It should be left to the MUA.  A decent MUA
will offer you at least the options of (1) "exploding" the digest so
that the messages are integrated with existing threads in your inbox,
or (2) reading the digest as a folder.