all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#7780: elisp manual regex section on multi-byte char incorrect
@ 2011-01-03 21:23 Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2011-01-03 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7780

in elisp doc for emacs 23.2, section on regex, it has a section that
talks about multibyte chars.

(elisp) Regexp Special

Quote:

The beginning and end of a range of multibyte characters must be in the
same character set (*note Character Sets::).  Thus, `"[\x8e0-\x97c]"' is
invalid because ...

this info seems outdated.

Thanks for Eli Zaretskii for confirmation.

  Xah Lee

* bug#7780: elisp manual regex section on multi-byte char incorrect
@ 2011-01-23  1:13 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-01-23  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xahlee; +Cc: 7780

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> in elisp doc for emacs 23.2, section on regex, it has a section that
> talks about multibyte chars.
>
> (elisp) Regexp Special
>
> Quote:
>
> The beginning and end of a range of multibyte characters must be in
> the same character set (*note Character Sets::).  Thus,
> "[\x8e0-\x97c]"' is invalid because ...
>
> this info seems outdated.
>
> Thanks for Eli Zaretskii for confirmation.

This paragraph is indeed not necessary anymore.  I've removed it in the
emacs-23 branch.  Thanks for the pointer.