all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* encoding
@ 2011-03-13  1:01 rinefez
From: rinefez @ 2011-03-13  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My Emacs 23.2.1 in inferior-lisp entering (from italian keyboard)

#\à

returns

#\LATIN_CAPITAL_LETTER_A_WITH_TILDE

which is wrong cause i entered latin small a with grave accent. In
fact entering

(char-code #\à)

returns 195 (the code point of Ã) instead of 224 (the code point of
à).

Anybody has a clue to how to solve this?

* Encoding
@ 2013-06-10 22:47 sirciny
From: sirciny @ 2013-06-10 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I recently changed the default Ubuntu font in my ~/.emacs file to DejaVu Sans
Mono-10 using the following:

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "DejaVu Sans Mono-10")

Now, when I edit certain .txt files, I get the following error when Emacs
autosaves:

These default coding systems were tried to encode text
in the buffer ` *Format Temp 0*':
  (emacs-mule-unix (216366 . 157))
However, each of them encountered characters it couldn't encode:
  emacs-mule-unix cannot encode these: 

Click on a character (or switch to this window by `C-x o'
and select the characters by RET) to jump to the place it appears,
where `C-u C-x =' will give information about it.

Select one of the safe coding systems listed below,
or cancel the writing with C-g and edit the buffer
   to remove or modify the problematic characters,
or specify any other coding system (and risk losing
   the problematic characters).

  utf-16le-with-signature utf-8 gb18030 utf-7 utf-16
  utf-16be-with-signature utf-16be utf-16le utf-8-auto
  utf-8-with-signature utf-7-imap utf-8-emacs

---------------------------------------

I have tried setting my default (en?)coding system to utf-8 via the
following:

  (set-language-environment 'utf-8)

  (setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
  (set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8)
  (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
  (set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
  (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

--------------------------------------

None of the above has worked when placed in ~/.emacs and after restarting
Emacs. How can I get rid of this error and keep my new font (and avoid the
problem if I change my font attributes in the future)?

* encoding
@ 2009-01-08  0:35 Alan
From: Alan @ 2009-01-08  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like to ask for advice on encoding issues, and I apologize for
coming back to this list when I have asked questions about this in the
past.  I have gotten by for the most part, but every once in a while I
am bitten by an encoding issue.

By and large I have no need for multibyte encodings, but I do use
diacritic character modifications, and have an occasional need to use
greek characters, for example.  So I enabled UTF-8 encoding (without
really understanding the full extend of what is implied).

A the text output of a certain program includes the following.  I will
show it both as it appears in the terminal and as it appears in an
emacs buffer:

 - emacs:   19.6500° N, 156.0000° W

 - term:      19.6500° N, 156.0000° W

I am using emacs 23.1 (ubuntu intrepid ibex, emacs-snapshot).

The following is output from the command C-h C

-----------------------------
  U -- utf-8-unix (alias: mule-utf-8-unix)

Coding system for keyboard input:
  = -- no-conversion (alias: binary)

Coding system for terminal output:
  nil
Coding system for inter-client cut and paste:
  nil
Defaults for subprocess I/O:
  decoding: U -- utf-8-unix (alias: mule-utf-8-unix)

  encoding: U -- utf-8-unix (alias: mule-utf-8-unix)

---------------% end output--------------

The text in question is from subprocess I/O

The following are from my .emacs.el :

  (standard-display-8bit 160 255)
  (setq-default coding-system-for-write 'utf-8)

I have had trouble with text copied from a browser, which if I
remember correctly is why I implemented this default coding-system.

Can someone point the way to a simple explanation of the (seeming)
complexities of coding-systems for emacs?  Or suggest how I can set
this up?

Thank you

Alan

* Encoding..
@ 2004-06-21  7:41 Rob Kramer
From: Rob Kramer @ 2004-06-21  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm doing some testing with a program that needs to be made aware of UTF-8.
Now, when I cut & paste a good UTF-8 byte string to some other document
(my .cc file to be precise), that string is converted to something else
when I save and check with od.

How can I disable all forms of multi-language encoding/converting so I can
test in peace without fear of my strings becoming translated to something
else?

Cheers!

    Rob