all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* psgml how to validate against schema
@ 2011-04-20  9:56 AngusC
From: AngusC @ 2011-04-20  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello

I am trying to validate an xml file against a schema.  The schema doc is
called appmetadata.xsd.  In emacs If I select from menu XML... Set Schema...
File and select file nothing happens.

If I select menu option Show Schema location I see message: Using vacuous
schema.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I am using emacs v23.3.1 on windows.

Angus

* Re: psgml how to validate against schema
@ 2011-04-25  8:44 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-04-25  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I am trying to validate an xml file against a schema.  The schema doc is
> called appmetadata.xsd.  In emacs If I select from menu XML... Set Schema...
> File and select file nothing happens.

> If I select menu option Show Schema location I see message: Using vacuous
> schema.

> Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

I thought psgml only supported good old DTDs...?

* Re: psgml how to validate against schema
@ 2011-04-25  9:14   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-04-25  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.04.2011 10:44, schrieb Steinar Bang:

>> I am trying to validate an xml file against a schema.  The schema doc is
>> called appmetadata.xsd.  In emacs If I select from menu XML... Set Schema...
>> File and select file nothing happens.
>
>> If I select menu option Show Schema location I see message: Using vacuous
>> schema.
>
>> Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
>
> I thought psgml only supported good old DTDs...?

exists a command `M-x sgml-validate' whose content is customizable.
Should validate xsd files too, given the executable is set correctly.

Andreas

* Re: psgml how to validate against schema
@ 2011-04-25 19:17     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-04-25 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> exists a command `M-x sgml-validate' whose content is customizable.
> Should validate xsd files too, given the executable is set correctly.

psgml DTD usage goes beyond validation.  It uses the DTD information
assist with inserting elements and edit attributes.

* Re: psgml how to validate against schema
@ 2011-04-26  6:40       ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-04-26  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.04.2011 21:17, schrieb Steinar Bang:

>> exists a command `M-x sgml-validate' whose content is customizable.
>> Should validate xsd files too, given the executable is set correctly.
>
> psgml DTD usage goes beyond validation.  It uses the DTD information
> assist with inserting elements and edit attributes.

Sure. However, as far as a programm outside Emacs is called, just the
results sent back, that shouldn't matter here.

* Re: psgml how to validate against schema
@ 2011-04-30 18:34         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-04-30 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 25.04.2011 21:17, schrieb Steinar Bang:

>> psgml DTD usage goes beyond validation.  It uses the DTD information
>> assist with inserting elements and edit attributes.

> Sure. However, as far as a programm outside Emacs is called, just the
> results sent back, that shouldn't matter here.

The psgml usage of an external validator is just similar to the way
emacs handles compilation errors.

It can't use the external program to help with editing.  For that it
uses its built-in DTD parser (written in lisp).

* Re: psgml how to validate against schema
@ 2011-05-03 16:11           ` AngusC
From: AngusC @ 2011-05-03 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

@ 2011-05-04  6:37             ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-05-04  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.05.2011 18:11, schrieb AngusC:

>>> Sure. However, as far as a programm outside Emacs is called, just the
>>> results sent back, that shouldn't matter here.
>>
>> The psgml usage of an external validator is just similar to the way
>> emacs handles compilation errors.
>>
>> It can't use the external program to help with editing.  For that it
>> uses its built-in DTD parser (written in lisp).

Editing and validating are different issues.

Some sgml-forms will not work, when built upon use of dtd.
Please report that as a bug then.
Feel free to drop me a cc then.

As dtd are optional, no command should fail completely without.

>> It can only validate using a schema written using RELAX NG syntax.

Emacs calls an external programm for that. Should be able to play the
results back.

AFAIS the work is basically done in line 1582 compile.el:

(start-file-process-shell-command (downcase mode-name)
						       outbuf command)

All you need to do is selecting the correct validation-command, when
starting.