all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Precompiled Emacs binaries, where are the sources?
@ 2011-12-11 20:03 Ulrich Mueller
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2011-12-11 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,
Where can I find the sources for the precompiled Emacs binaries in
<ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/>, e.g. for the 24.0.91
pretest? The README file points to the parent directory ...

| * IMPORTANT LEGAL REMINDER
|
|   If you want to redistribute any of the precompiled distributions
|   of Emacs, be careful to check the implications of the GPL.  For
|   instance, if you put the emacs-23.1.91-bin-i386.tar.gz file from
|   this directory on an Internet site, you must arrange to distribute
|   the source files of the SAME version (i.e. ../emacs-23.1.91.tar.gz).

... but looks like all sources have been deleted from there, except for
the newest one (24.0.92).

Ulrich

* Re: Precompiled Emacs binaries, where are the sources?
@ 2011-12-11 21:10 ` Christoph Scholtes
From: Christoph Scholtes @ 2011-12-11 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ulrich Mueller; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 12/11/2011 1:03 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

> Where can I find the sources for the precompiled Emacs binaries in
> <ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/>, e.g. for the 24.0.91
> pretest? The README file points to the parent directory ...
>
> | * IMPORTANT LEGAL REMINDER
> |
> |   If you want to redistribute any of the precompiled distributions
> |   of Emacs, be careful to check the implications of the GPL.  For
> |   instance, if you put the emacs-23.1.91-bin-i386.tar.gz file from
> |   this directory on an Internet site, you must arrange to distribute
> |   the source files of the SAME version (i.e. ../emacs-23.1.91.tar.gz).
>
> ... but looks like all sources have been deleted from there, except for
> the newest one (24.0.92).

The README that the ftp server shows should probably be version
independent and more generic, but nevertheless this looks like an issue.

Then, if what Ulrich reported is really an issue, and according to the
Legal Reminder it probably is, what about the weekly Windows snapshots
we have been providing? They are created directly off of the bzr source
tree and don't have an associated source tarball. Now, it would not be
too hard to also create a source tarball for these snapshots and provide
it with the binary distributions. For all distributions I created that
have the bzr revno specified it is also possible to recreate the
appropriate source tarball and upload it.

I would propose this: remove all binary builds except the last 5 and
provide source tarballs for those. In the future only keep 5 versions of
the binary distros on the server. This should be enough for people to be
able to rollback in case there is issues with the weekly builds.

We should also create a README file for the weekly build section and
show it like the pretest section of the ftp server does.

WDYT?

Christoph

* Re: Precompiled Emacs binaries, where are the sources?
@ 2011-12-11 21:33 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-12-11 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Ulrich Mueller; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 21:03:27 +0100
> From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>
>
> Hi,
> Where can I find the sources for the precompiled Emacs binaries in
> <ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/>, e.g. for the 24.0.91
> pretest? The README file points to the parent directory ...
>
> | * IMPORTANT LEGAL REMINDER
> |
> |   If you want to redistribute any of the precompiled distributions
> |   of Emacs, be careful to check the implications of the GPL.  For
> |   instance, if you put the emacs-23.1.91-bin-i386.tar.gz file from
> |   this directory on an Internet site, you must arrange to distribute
> |   the source files of the SAME version (i.e. ../emacs-23.1.91.tar.gz).
>
> ... but looks like all sources have been deleted from there, except for
> the newest one (24.0.92).

I don't understand why the previous pretests are being removed in the
first place.

* Re: Precompiled Emacs binaries, where are the sources?
@ 2011-12-13 14:02   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2011-12-13 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Ulrich Mueller, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I don't understand why the previous pretests are being removed in the
> first place.

They were missing the two grammar files that were added in 24.0.92.

The binaries should also be deleted; I'll do that.  The sources, if
desired, can be regenerated from the relevant bzr tag.