all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and TMUX/StumpWM
@ 2012-02-17  9:19 Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-02-17  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello List,
I think about using my window-managers (instead of something like
winring.el) to manage emacs windows. So I have to start up every buffer
I want in a separate window as a new frame then, or is there a way to
show emacs windows from the same frame in different tmux/stumpwm
windows?

cheers
--
Thorsten

* Re: Emacs and TMUX/StumpWM
@ 2012-02-17 13:51 ` Thorsten
From: Thorsten @ 2012-02-17 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hello List,
> I think about using my window-managers (instead of something like
> winring.el) to manage emacs windows. So I have to start up every buffer
> I want in a separate window as a new frame then, or is there a way to
> show emacs windows from the same frame in different tmux/stumpwm
> windows?

Using emacs in server-client mode makes this question somehow pointless,
I just figured out - I can start a new emacs client in as many
WindowManager windows as I like to, and switch between the emacs clients
instead of the emacs frames.

cheers
 --
Thorsten

* Re: Emacs and TMUX/StumpWM
@ 2012-02-18 13:49 ` Daniel Schoepe
From: Daniel Schoepe @ 2012-02-18 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten, help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 10:19:36 +0100, Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello List,
> I think about using my window-managers (instead of something like
> winring.el) to manage emacs windows. So I have to start up every buffer
> I want in a separate window as a new frame then, or is there a way to
> show emacs windows from the same frame in different tmux/stumpwm
> windows?

Another thing in addition to running emacs as a daemon that might
interest you, is One-On-One Emacs [1] which basically aims at using
a separate frame for each emacs window.

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneOnOneEmacs

Cheers,
Daniel

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: Emacs and TMUX/StumpWM
@ 2012-02-21 18:27   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2012-02-21 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel Schoepe <daniel@schoepe.org> writes:

> Another thing in addition to running emacs as a daemon that might
> interest you, is One-On-One Emacs [1] which basically aims at using
> a separate frame for each emacs window.
>
> [1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneOnOneEmacs

Is this still being developed..? comments there are dated 2004.

* Re: Emacs and TMUX/StumpWM
@ 2012-02-21 18:37     ` Daniel Schoepe
From: Daniel Schoepe @ 2012-02-21 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam, help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:27:17 -0500, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Daniel Schoepe <daniel@schoepe.org> writes:
>
> > Another thing in addition to running emacs as a daemon that might
> > interest you, is One-On-One Emacs [1] which basically aims at using
> > a separate frame for each emacs window.
> >
> > [1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneOnOneEmacs
>
> Is this still being developed..? comments there are dated 2004.

I'm not sure (I don't use it myself), but the libraries seem to be the
ones from http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DrewsElispLibraries which seems
pretty active.

@ 2012-02-21 18:53       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-02-21 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Daniel Schoepe', 'Harry Putnam', help-gnu-emacs

> > > Another thing in addition to running emacs as a daemon that might
> > > interest you, is One-On-One Emacs [1] which basically
> > > aims at using a separate frame for each emacs window.
> > >
> > > [1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneOnOneEmacs
> >
> > Is this still being developed..? comments there are dated 2004.
>
> I'm not sure (I don't use it myself), but the libraries seem to be the
> ones from http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DrewsElispLibraries
> which seems pretty active.

Yes, it is still being developed/maintained/used.

Dunno what 2004 comments Harry is referring to.  There have been ongoing
improvements to oneonone.el and the related libraries: 56 change-log comments
for oneonone.el since 2004, the most recent being from 2011/10.  And the last
user comment at [1] dates from 2011/07.

* Re: Emacs and TMUX/StumpWM
@ 2012-02-22 11:31         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2012-02-22 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

[...]

>> > Is this still being developed..? comments there are dated 2004.

>> I'm not sure (I don't use it myself), but the libraries seem to be the
>> ones from http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DrewsElispLibraries
>> which seems pretty active.
>
> Yes, it is still being developed/maintained/used.
>
> Dunno what 2004 comments Harry is referring to.  There have been ongoing
> improvements to oneonone.el and the related libraries: 56 change-log comments
> for oneonone.el since 2004, the most recent being from 2011/10.  And the last
> user comment at [1] dates from 2011/07.

Drew, I may not understand what I'm looking at on the cited page but
if you scroll down toward the bottom of the page you will see comments
dated 2004.

Its the only obvious dates on the page so I took them to mean something.

* Re: Emacs and TMUX/StumpWM
@ 2012-02-22 11:34         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2012-02-22 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> > Is this still being developed..? comments there are dated 2004.
>>
>> I'm not sure (I don't use it myself), but the libraries seem to be the
>> ones from http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DrewsElispLibraries
>> which seems pretty active.
>
> Yes, it is still being developed/maintained/used.
>
> Dunno what 2004 comments Harry is referring to.  There have been ongoing
> improvements to oneonone.el and the related libraries: 56 change-log comments
> for oneonone.el since 2004, the most recent being from 2011/10.  And the last
> user comment at [1] dates from 2011/07.

On the cited page toward the bottom are a few comments with dates from
2004.  Those were the only obvious dates I saw there.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, or not noticing other more recent dates.

* Re: Emacs and TMUX/StumpWM
@ 2012-02-22 11:41         ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2012-02-22 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[...]

> Yes, it is still being developed/maintained/used.

[...]

Drew, how does one experiment with this setup without involving their
main emacs installation?

* RE: Emacs and TMUX/StumpWM
@ 2012-02-22 15:55           ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-02-22 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Harry Putnam'; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Drew, I may not understand what I'm looking at on the cited page but
> if you scroll down toward the bottom of the page you will see comments
> dated 2004.
>
> Its the only obvious dates on the page so I took them to mean
> something.
>
> On the cited page toward the bottom are a few comments with dates from
> 2004.  Those were the only obvious dates I saw there.
>
> Perhaps I am misunderstanding, or not noticing other more
> recent dates.

The second user comment on the page (just after the `Comments (Log)' heading) is
dated 2004.  That's only about 1/3 of the way down the page.  Other comments
follow that, chronologically.  Near the bottom of the page you'll see later
comments, e.g., from 2011.

* RE: Emacs and TMUX/StumpWM
@ 2012-02-22 16:14           ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-02-22 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Harry Putnam', help-gnu-emacs

> > [1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneOnOneEmacs
>
> Drew, how does one experiment with this setup without involving their
> main emacs installation?

Just as it says in the Commentary of oneonone.el
(http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/oneonone.el), put this in your init file:

 (require 'oneonone)
 (1on1-emacs)

Remove those two lines after you're done experimenting.  That's all.

You might also want to add this or equivalent to your .emacs while
experimenting, to make buffers named `*...*' be special-display (dedicated
windows, different background, etc.):

(when (if (fboundp 'display-graphic-p)
          (display-graphic-p)
        window-system)
  (defconst special-display-regexps '("[ ]?[*][^*]+[*]")))

Note that [1] mentions several other files, besides `oneonone.el', which are
also part of my attempt to make frames more usable (One-On-One Emacs).  None are
required by library `oneonone.el', however.  This doc section gives a brief
description of them: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/OneOnOneEmacs#toc5.

In particular, I would suggest trying `fit-frame.el', `autofit-frame.el', and
`thumb-frm.el'.  (Library `thumb-frm.el' requires `frame-cmds.el', which
requires `frame-fns.el'.)

HTH.