all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Is a method like this already in emacs?
@ 2013-11-05  8:32 Matthias Pfeifer
From: Matthias Pfeifer @ 2013-11-05  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear list,

i recently added this defun to my init.el

(defun detach-window ()
  "Close current window and re-open it in new frame."
  (interactive)
  (let ((currentBuffer (window-buffer)))
    (progn
      (delete-window)
      (select-frame (make-frame))
      (set-window-buffer (selected-window) currentBuffer))))

and found it to be useful in several situations. now i wonder if a function
that does the same is already available somewhere in emacs? Also i am
curious about emacs lisp and could not successfully google for a related
mailing-list - now i wonder if somebody knows about one and shares the
knowledge.

Thanks in advance.
Matthias

* Re: Is a method like this already in emacs?
       [not found] <mailman.5330.1383640330.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-11-05 10:23 ` Damien Wyart
From: Damien Wyart @ 2013-11-05 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Matthias Pfeifer <mpfeifer77@gmail.com> in gnu.emacs.help:
> i recently added this defun to my init.el

> (defun detach-window ()
>   "Close current window and re-open it in new frame."
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((currentBuffer (window-buffer)))
>     (progn
>       (delete-window)
>       (select-frame (make-frame))
>       (set-window-buffer (selected-window) currentBuffer))))

> and found it to be useful in several situations. now i wonder if
> a function that does the same is already available somewhere in emacs?

No, but there has been a quite long related discussion recently on
emacs-devel: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-09/msg00039.html

> Also i am curious about emacs lisp and could not successfully google
> for a related mailing-list - now i wonder if somebody knows about one
> and shares the knowledge.

This list is fine, and for more advanced topics, emacs-devel can be
used.

--
DW

@ 2013-11-05 10:35 ` WJ
From: WJ @ 2013-11-05 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2013-11-05 13:37 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2013-11-05 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Pfeifer, help-gnu-emacs

> now i wonder if a function that does the same is already available
> somewhere in emacs?

Yes, there is a similar command already: `mouse-tear-off-window'.
I bind it to `C-mouse-1' on the mode line:

 (global-set-key [mode-line C-mouse-1] 'mouse-tear-off-window)

Click `C-mouse-1' anywhere on the mode line of the window you want
to tear off into another frame.

Doc string: "Delete the window clicked on, and create a new frame
displaying its buffer."

@ 2013-11-05 16:27 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-11-05 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Matthias Pfeifer <mpfeifer77@gmail.com> writes:

> i recently added this defun to my init.el
>
>   (let ((currentBuffer (window-buffer)))
>     (progn
>       (delete-window)
>       (select-frame (make-frame))
>       (set-window-buffer (selected-window) currentBuffer))))
>
> and found it to be useful in several situations. now i
> wonder if a function that does the same is already
> available somewhere in emacs? Also i am curious about
> emacs lisp and could not successfully google for a
> related mailing-list - now i wonder if somebody knows
> about one and shares the knowledge.

No, you have come to the right place to hack Emacs all
day (and night) long! Please share as much Elisp as
possible. Your hacks are as good as anyone's as long as
they do their jobs.

Check out my Emacs & Elisp page [1] for basically
everything I did in that domain. Some of it is perhaps a
bit unconventional but most should be good in terms of
general computing and programming.

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/emacs.html

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Is a method like this already in emacs?
@ 2013-11-05 19:21   ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2013-11-05 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Damien Wyart <damien.wyart@free.fr> writes:

> * Matthias Pfeifer <mpfeifer77@gmail.com> in gnu.emacs.help:
>> i recently added this defun to my init.el
>
>> (defun detach-window ()
>>   "Close current window and re-open it in new frame."
>>   (interactive)
>>   (let ((currentBuffer (window-buffer)))
>>     (progn
>>       (delete-window)
>>       (select-frame (make-frame))
>>       (set-window-buffer (selected-window) currentBuffer))))
>
>> and found it to be useful in several situations. now i wonder if
>> a function that does the same is already available somewhere in emacs?
>
> No, but there has been a quite long related discussion recently on

Yes, this is exactly what C-x 5 2  or  M-x make-frame-command  does.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/

* Re: Is a method like this already in emacs?
@ 2013-11-05 19:22     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2013-11-05 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

> Damien Wyart <damien.wyart@free.fr> writes:
>
>> * Matthias Pfeifer <mpfeifer77@gmail.com> in gnu.emacs.help:
>>> i recently added this defun to my init.el
>>
>>> (defun detach-window ()
>>>   "Close current window and re-open it in new frame."
>>>   (interactive)
>>>   (let ((currentBuffer (window-buffer)))
>>>     (progn
>>>       (delete-window)
>>>       (select-frame (make-frame))
>>>       (set-window-buffer (selected-window) currentBuffer))))
>>
>>> and found it to be useful in several situations. now i wonder if
>>> a function that does the same is already available somewhere in emacs?
>>
>> No, but there has been a quite long related discussion recently on
>
> Yes, this is exactly what C-x 5 2  or  M-x make-frame-command  does.

Well, modulo the suppression of the old window, but who cares? :-)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/