all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs for an old apple?
@ 2014-03-16  8:48 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2014-03-16  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The apple computer I have has Leopard on it since it's a ppc type computer
not intel.  I'm curious if any precompiled versions of emacs exist for
this computer that's a current version of emacs and where that might be
downloaded.  I think this is a power mac and it's huge and stands on the
floor.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>

* Re: emacs for an old apple?
@ 2014-03-16 10:18 ` Memnon Anon
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Memnon Anon @ 2014-03-16 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> The apple computer I have has Leopard on it since it's a ppc type computer
> not intel.

I have an old G4 powerbook around  which I got on ebay for 50 bucks.
My solution: Get rid of OSX Tiger, install Debian.
Everything just works, the system gets security updates,
huge repos of up-to-date free software.

Sure, Leopard (the last version of OSX which supported PPc)
is not Tiger, and  still a viable option - for now. But that
is bound to change rather sooner than later, so why wait.

--
/-------------------------------------------\
| SDF and SDF-EU Public Access UNIX System  |

* Re: emacs for an old apple?
@ 2014-03-17 13:07 ` Tim Visher
       [not found] ` <mailman.17347.1395061692.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim Visher @ 2014-03-17 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 4:48 AM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> The apple computer I have has Leopard on it since it's a ppc type computer
> not intel.  I'm curious if any precompiled versions of emacs exist for
> this computer that's a current version of emacs and where that might be
> downloaded.  I think this is a power mac and it's huge and stands on the
> floor.

I doubt that.

Another left field solution, if this is not your only machine but
needed for some specialized purpose, is to use TRAMP to edit the files
remotely from a more up to date OS.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://blog.twonegatives.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ -- Spend less time on mail

* Re: emacs for an old apple?
       [not found] ` <mailman.17347.1395061692.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-03-17 15:22   ` Barry Margolin
       [not found]     ` <mailman.17361.1395070296.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Barry Margolin @ 2014-03-17 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.17347.1395061692.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 4:48 AM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
> wrote:
> > The apple computer I have has Leopard on it since it's a ppc type computer
> > not intel.  I'm curious if any precompiled versions of emacs exist for
> > this computer that's a current version of emacs and where that might be
> > downloaded.  I think this is a power mac and it's huge and stands on the
> > floor.
>
> I doubt that.

You doubt that it's a Power Mac? Or that there's a version of Emacs for
it?

I think there are versions of Carbon Emacs that should run on it.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: emacs for an old apple?
@ 2014-03-17 15:30     ` Tim Visher
       [not found]     ` <mailman.17361.1395070296.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tim Visher @ 2014-03-17 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barry Margolin; +Cc: emacs

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article <mailman.17347.1395061692.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>  Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 4:48 AM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
>> wrote:
>> > The apple computer I have has Leopard on it since it's a ppc type computer
>> > not intel.  I'm curious if any precompiled versions of emacs exist for
>> > this computer that's a current version of emacs and where that might be
>> > downloaded.  I think this is a power mac and it's huge and stands on the
>> > floor.
>>
>> I doubt that.
>
> You doubt that it's a Power Mac? Or that there's a version of Emacs for
> it?
>
> I think there are versions of Carbon Emacs that should run on it.

I doubt that there are recently compiled version of emacs for PPC
architectures. But then again this is emacs. There are probably
recently compiled version of it that run on LISP machines or
something. :)

--

@ 2014-03-17 15:50       ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2014-03-17 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Visher wrote:
> I doubt that there are recently compiled version of emacs for PPC
> architectures. But then again this is emacs. There are probably
> recently compiled version of it that run on LISP machines or
> something. :)

The README for the build script used to create the OS X binaries on
http://emacsformacosx.com/ says "[t]he script tries to build a universal
binary that runs on 32 bit Intel, 64 bit Intel, and PowerPC
processors."[1]

So the OP might try one of the builds from that site and see if it
works.

Joost

[1] https://github.com/caldwell/build-emacs

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: emacs for an old apple?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.17347.1395061692.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-03-17 15:50 ` Allan Streib
From: Allan Streib @ 2014-03-17 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell, help-gnu-emacs

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> The apple computer I have has Leopard on it since it's a ppc type computer
> not intel.  I'm curious if any precompiled versions of emacs exist for
> this computer that's a current version of emacs and where that might be
> downloaded.  I think this is a power mac and it's huge and stands on the
> floor.

http://emacsformacosx.com/

They build "universal binaries" and last time I downloaded one it worked
fine on my PPC G4 PowerBook.

I have read that with Lion the universal binary format is no longer
supported but that's not going to be an issue for a PPC mac anyway.

Allan

* Re: emacs for an old apple?
@ 2014-03-17 15:52   ` Stefan
From: Stefan @ 2014-03-17 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> The apple computer I have has Leopard on it since it's a ppc type computer
>> not intel.  I'm curious if any precompiled versions of emacs exist for
>> this computer that's a current version of emacs and where that might be
>> downloaded.  I think this is a power mac and it's huge and stands on the
>> floor.
> I doubt that.

Actually, I strongly suspect that there is such a precompiled Emacs that
runs on this computer.  But indeed, probably only if he upgrades to
something like Debian.

* Re: emacs for an old apple?
@ 2014-03-17 17:40       ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2014-03-17 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Visher; +Cc: emacs, Barry Margolin

Does anyone know if VoiceOver and carbon are compatible?  I need
VoiceOver since I can't see the screen.  command-f5 toggles VoiceOver on
and off.

@ 2014-03-18  0:58         ` Allan Streib
From: Allan Streib @ 2014-03-18  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell, Tim Visher; +Cc: emacs, Barry Margolin

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> Does anyone know if VoiceOver and carbon are compatible?  I need
> VoiceOver since I can't see the screen.  command-f5 toggles VoiceOver on
> and off.

I don't know about Carbon, or VoiceOver, but if it helps, I tried (from
the top/system menu bar) Emacs > Services > Speech > Start Speaking Text
and it worked.

Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.11) on PPC PowerBook G4 with Emacs 24.1 from
http://emacsformacosx.com

Allan