all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: How to copy and paste from unity to emacs in the terminal version ?
       [not found] <7z38cuorvf.fsf@example.com>
@ 2014-08-18 19:02 ` Robert Thorpe
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7213.1408394749.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2014-08-18 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: David Hume; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:

> Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:
>
> emacs-gtk has a habit of hanging indefinately. I am suspicious of
> emacs-x11 too. So I am using emacs in a terminal.

I haven't seen either of those problems.

That could be a bug in Emacs.  If you can find a recipe to reproduce it
then it's worth reporting.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: How to copy and paste from unity to emacs in the terminal version ?
@ 2014-08-18 20:44   ` Dale Snell
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7213.1408394749.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dale Snell @ 2014-08-18 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:02:31 +0100
Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> wrote:

> David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:
>
> > Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:
> >
> > emacs-gtk has a habit of hanging indefinately. I am suspicious of
> > emacs-x11 too. So I am using emacs in a terminal.
>
> I haven't seen either of those problems.

GTK2 had a bug which caused Emacs to hang if it was suspended
(iconified) with C-z.  I don't think this was ever fixed, but
since Emacs has moved to GTK3, I doubt that it matters.  I have
never heard of a problem with X11 (though that doesn't mean there
isn't one).

--Dale

--
"Come, muse, let us sing of rats."  -- James Grainger

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Emacs hanging (Re: How to copy and paste...)
       [not found]     ` <7zk364a4by.fsf_-_@example.com>
@ 2014-08-19 17:08       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2014-08-19 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Hume <David.Hume@hushmail.com> writes:

> Just now emacs was hanging in lxterminal. I killed it
> off, but I noticed there was an emacs-gtk running
> with no window associated with it. I am not sure how
> that happened or what it was doing. I have now
> uninstalled emacs-x11 and installed emacs-nox
> instead, in the hope this problem goes away.
>
> I can't reported because I don't know the cause,
> other than using emacs is the cause.

Try to reproduce it. Or if it happens again, think what
you might have done this time, that you did the first
time as well. Otherwise you hang in the air unless
someone immediately recognizes that situation...

--
underground experts united