all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Markup to export to .docx
@ 2014-09-23 17:59 Subhan Michael Tindall
From: Subhan Michael Tindall @ 2014-09-23 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi, I know this must be possible, and I'm hoping someone has a simple solution so I don't have to go about it the long hard way of trial and error.
I'm looking to do the following:
Take .org documents
Possibly add some simple markup IE \bold, \italics, \bullet
Nothing complex, probably not even tables.
Export it to .docx format .
I'm stuck in Windows world at work, and occasionally need to produce documents for other members of my team in Word format (possibly PDF, but Word is better)
I have emacs and Cygwin functioning, but have limited ability to install other software.
Having trouble with the ODT exporter as the firewall blocks all the download sites I can find for infozip, and I can't get it to use the Cygwin one for some reason
Thanks!

Subhan Michael Tindall
Program Analyst - FamilyCare Health Plans
825 NE Multnomah St, Suite 1400; Portland OR 97232
Direct: 503-471-3127
Fax:      503-471-3177
Email:  subhant@familycareinc.org<mailto:subhant@familycareinc.org>
[Email-Signature-Logos June 20143]

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.

[-- Attachment #2: image001.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 30469 bytes --]

* Re: Markup to export to .docx
@ 2014-09-23 18:07 ` Tory S. Anderson
From: Tory S. Anderson @ 2014-09-23 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhan Michael Tindall; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I'm under the impression the going way to do that (the way I do it on Linux) is to export to ODT (open office/libre office), and those editors allow you to save as docx. I doubt that method is going to change. But it's probably not too touch to produce a script that exports org to an ODT and then runs one of the command line Open Office convert-to functions as found here: http://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question/2641/convert-to-command-line-parameter/

- Tory

@ 2014-09-23 18:30 ` Brady Trainor
From: Brady Trainor @ 2014-09-23 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhan Michael Tindall; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Subhan Michael Tindall <SubhanT@familycareinc.org> writes:

> Hi, I know this must be possible, and I'm hoping someone has a simple
> solution so I don't have to go about it the long hard way of trial and
> error.
> I'm looking to do the following:
> Take .org documents
> Possibly add some simple markup IE \bold, \italics, \bullet
> Nothing complex, probably not even tables.
> Export it to .docx format .
> I'm stuck in Windows world at work, and occasionally need to produce
> documents for other members of my team in Word format (possibly PDF,
> but Word is better)
> I have emacs and Cygwin functioning, but have limited ability to install other software.
> Having trouble with the ODT exporter as the firewall blocks all the
> download sites I can find for infozip, and I can't get it to use the
> Cygwin one for some reason
> Thanks!

I've done this before, not recently. But I'm not sure about your
firewall issues. Does your Libre Office come with the unoconv tool?

I think org-mode has an option for this, but it may be using unoconv in
the background. From

http://orgmode.org/manual/Extending-ODT-export.html#x-export-to-other-formats

we discover the variable org-odt-preferred-output-format.

With that info, I can search my archive file and I find this

(setq org-odt-preferred-output-format "odt"
      org-export-odt-prettify-xml nil
      org-export-odt-styles-file OrgOdtStyles.xml
      org-odt-data-dir "/e/emacs-config/"
      org-odt-styles-dir "/e/emacs-config/styles/")

You probably only need the first line, with "docx" instead, but I
include the other lines in case it gives you ideas.

Brady

* Re: Markup to export to .docx
       [not found] <mailman.153871.1411495214.1146.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-09-23 18:31 ` Buchs, Kevin J.
From: Buchs, Kevin J. @ 2014-09-23 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Subhan,

The best path I know of is to export to Open Document format. You can
open that with the last few versions of .docx-centric tools.

--
Kevin Buchs   Research Computer Services   Phone: 507-538-5459
Mayo Clinic   200 1st. St SW   Rochester, MN 55905

* Re: Markup to export to .docx
@ 2014-09-30 13:52 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-09-30 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhan Michael Tindall; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On the org list people have mentioned good results using
http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/ though I don't know about the exact
path they followed.

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Subhan Michael Tindall
<SubhanT@familycareinc.org> wrote:
> Hi, I know this must be possible, and I'm hoping someone has a simple solution so I don't have to go about it the long hard way of trial and error.
> I'm looking to do the following:
> Take .org documents
> Possibly add some simple markup IE \bold, \italics, \bullet
> Nothing complex, probably not even tables.
> Export it to .docx format .
> I'm stuck in Windows world at work, and occasionally need to produce documents for other members of my team in Word format (possibly PDF, but Word is better)
> I have emacs and Cygwin functioning, but have limited ability to install other software.
> Having trouble with the ODT exporter as the firewall blocks all the download sites I can find for infozip, and I can't get it to use the Cygwin one for some reason
> Thanks!
>

> Subhan Michael Tindall
> Program Analyst - FamilyCare Health Plans
> 825 NE Multnomah St, Suite 1400; Portland OR 97232
> Direct: 503-471-3127
> Fax:      503-471-3177
> Email:  subhant@familycareinc.org<mailto:subhant@familycareinc.org>
> [Email-Signature-Logos June 20143]
>

> This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.

--
Grant Rettke
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
taking it seriously.” --Thompson