all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tramp "make check" suite
@ 2015-01-11 20:29 Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2015-01-11 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This suite is mentioned in the tramp manual, but without any indication
of what its contents are. What commands does it make available? All the
manual says is to call make check. How does one do that?

Haines Brown

* Re: Tramp "make check" suite
@ 2015-01-11 20:42 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.17697.1421008935.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-01-11 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net>
> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 15:29:09 -0500
>
> This suite is mentioned in the tramp manual, but without any indication
> of what its contents are. What commands does it make available? All the
> manual says is to call make check. How does one do that?

By typing "make check" at the shell prompt, I presume.

* Re: Tramp "make check" suite
       [not found] ` <mailman.17697.1421008935.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-01-11 21:46   ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2015-01-11 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>  From: Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net>
>> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 15:29:09 -0500
>>
>> This suite is mentioned in the tramp manual, but without any indication
>> of what its contents are. What commands does it make available? All the
>> manual says is to call make check. How does one do that?
>
> By typing "make check" at the shell prompt, I presume.

That's what I would have thought.

       M-! make check
       make: *** No rule to make tarket `check'. Stop

It seems that I am telling emacs to compile the file "check" rather
than test tramp.

Haines

* Re: Tramp "make check" suite
@ 2015-01-11 23:02     ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2015-01-11 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>  From: Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net>
>>> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 15:29:09 -0500
>>>
>>> This suite is mentioned in the tramp manual, but without any indication
>>> of what its contents are. What commands does it make available? All the
>>> manual says is to call make check. How does one do that?
>>
>> By typing "make check" at the shell prompt, I presume.
>
> That's what I would have thought.
>
>        M-! make check
>        make: *** No rule to make tarket `check'. Stop
>
> It seems that I am telling emacs to compile the file "check" rather
> than test tramp.

Not exactly.
It means that the Makefile in the directory you were in when you did
"M-! make check" does not contain the target "check".

What directory were you in when you issued that command?
Is there a Makefile there?
Does the Makefile contain a target "check"?

--
Dan Espen

* Re: Tramp "make check" suite
       [not found] ` <mailman.17697.1421008935.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-01-11 23:36 ` Bob Proulx
       [not found] ` <mailman.17704.1421019371.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bob Proulx @ 2015-01-11 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Haines Brown wrote:
> This suite is mentioned in the tramp manual, but without any indication
> of what its contents are. What commands does it make available? All the
> manual says is to call make check. How does one do that?

If you pull a copy of the tramp source code such as by git then
running make check will run the tests.  For example:

  git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/tramp.git
  cd tramp
  autoreconf --install
  ./configure
  make
  make check

If it passes all of the tests then a 'make install' will install it
into the /usr/local tree.  This is for a source code installation.
GNU is all about the source code after all.  But most people install
emacs through a software distribution.  It comes with the operating
system.  When installed like that the tests were already run when the
source was built into the distribution package.

Bob

* Re: Tramp "make check" suite
@ 2015-01-12  1:31       ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2015-01-12  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

> Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> writes:
>

>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>>  From: Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net>

>>> By typing "make check" at the shell prompt, I presume.
>>
>> That's what I would have thought.
>>
>>        M-! make check
>>        make: *** No rule to make tarket `check'. Stop
>>
>> It seems that I am telling emacs to compile the file "check" rather
>> than test tramp.
>
> Not exactly.
> It means that the Makefile in the directory you were in when you did
> "M-! make check" does not contain the target "check".
>
> What directory were you in when you issued that command?
> Is there a Makefile there?
> Does the Makefile contain a target "check"?

But that's the point: I'm not trying to compile. The trap manual says
that tramp now comes with a test suite, and it supports calling "make
check" to generate a virtual run of tramp. It is because "make" is a
conventional command for compiling that I had no idea what the tramp
manual was talking about. There is apparently a "suite" of utilities
used with tramp.

Haines Brown

* Re: Tramp "make check" suite
       [not found] ` <mailman.17704.1421019371.1147.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-01-12  1:33   ` Haines Brown
From: Haines Brown @ 2015-01-12  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Haines Brown wrote:
>> This suite is mentioned in the tramp manual, but without any indication
>> of what its contents are. What commands does it make available? All the
>> manual says is to call make check. How does one do that?
>
> If you pull a copy of the tramp source code such as by git then
> running make check will run the tests.  For example:
>
>   git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/tramp.git
>   cd tramp
>   autoreconf --install
>   ./configure
>   make
>   make check
>
> If it passes all of the tests then a 'make install' will install it
> into the /usr/local tree.  This is for a source code installation.
> GNU is all about the source code after all.  But most people install
> emacs through a software distribution.  It comes with the operating
> system.  When installed like that the tests were already run when the
> source was built into the distribution package.
>
> Bob

Aha! That explains it. Thanks Bob.

* Re: Tramp "make check" suite
@ 2015-01-12 10:13     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2015-01-12 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Haines Brown; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Haines Brown <haines@histomat.net> writes:

>>> This suite is mentioned in the tramp manual, but without any indication
>>> of what its contents are. What commands does it make available? All the
>>> manual says is to call make check. How does one do that?
>>
>> By typing "make check" at the shell prompt, I presume.
>
> That's what I would have thought.
>
>        M-! make check
>        make: *** No rule to make tarket `check'. Stop
>
> It seems that I am telling emacs to compile the file "check" rather
> than test tramp.

`default-directory' of your buffer must be the directory where you have
extracted Tramp, for example "~/src/tramp-2.2.11". The command
"./configure" must run before, if not done already.

The test suite is part of Tramp since release 2.2.9.

> Haines

Best regards, Michael.