all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Eshell tramp and multihop
@ 2016-09-19 10:23 Divan Santana
From: Divan Santana @ 2016-09-19 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi All,

I'm really hoping to be able to replace my X terminals with some mode in
Emacs.

Though find it pretty difficult to do so far.

That's mostly because I'm new to Emacs and still missing a lot of basics
which I hope to learn in time.

One of the issues I have is with eshell and tramp.

How to use eshell with tramp with multihops

So when you need to use multihops with TRAMP you need a pipe AFAIK.

Something like this works just find from find-file

/ssh:user@remotenode|sudo:root@remotenode:/root/somefile.txt

I can't get eshell working with tramp and multihop directly.

I would expect this to work in eshell:

/ssh:user@remotenode|sudo:root@remotenode:/root

It seems not to like the pipe. Not sure if there is away around that?

For now the method I have is to open the remote "path" via find-file,
then spwan eshell after that. That seems to work.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)
--
Divan Santana

* Re: Eshell tramp and multihop
@ 2016-09-19 12:22 ` Divan Santana
From: Divan Santana @ 2016-09-19 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Divan Santana <divan@santanas.co.za> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm really hoping to be able to replace my X terminals with some mode in
> Emacs.
>
> Though find it pretty difficult to do so far.
>
> That's mostly because I'm new to Emacs and still missing a lot of basics
> which I hope to learn in time.
>
> One of the issues I have is with eshell and tramp.
>
> How to use eshell with tramp with multihops
>
> So when you need to use multihops with TRAMP you need a pipe AFAIK.
>
> Something like this works just find from find-file
>
> /ssh:user@remotenode|sudo:root@remotenode:/root/somefile.txt
>
> I can't get eshell working with tramp and multihop directly.
>
> I would expect this to work in eshell:
>
> /ssh:user@remotenode|sudo:root@remotenode:/root
>
> It seems not to like the pipe. Not sure if there is away around that?
>
> For now the method I have is to open the remote "path" via find-file,
> then spwan eshell after that. That seems to work.
>
> Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

Ok, figured it out. Simple. Basically just needed to quote the cd, like so

cd
"/ssh:somenode|sudo:root@somenode|su:anotheruser@somenode:/home/anotheruser"

So the above ssh's to somenode, then sudo's to root, then su's to the
"anotheruser". Pretty cool.

Still have tons to figure out and get working before I can ditch my
terminal emulator.

To read FirstRand Bank's Disclaimer for this email click on the following address or copy into your Internet browser:
https://www.fnb.co.za/about-fnb/legal-matters/email-disclaimer.html

firstrandbankdisclaimer@fnb.co.za and we will send you a copy of the Disclaimer.