all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [ shell buffer ] How not to split the current window?
@ 2017-08-30  9:24 Philippe Chauvat
From: Philippe Chauvat @ 2017-08-30  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello

Not new to emacs but pretty old to lisp and other emacs programming
stuffs. I am running the following emacs version.

GNU Emacs 25.2.2 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.17)
 of 2017-08-01, modified by Debian

since a previous update, when using M-x shell, the shell opens in a new
buffer, splitting the window. Therefore, using C-x b don't send me back
to the original buffer but to a third one. This is really not useful for
me and I would be glad that M-x shell just open a new buffer, as it
would do for other matters, without splitting the existing one.

I read the doc, probably not enough, I read the mailing list archive,
and did not find anything. Any help would be welcome.

Cheers
Philippe

* Re: [ shell buffer ] How not to split the current window?
       [not found] <mailman.14045.1504100225.21957.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2017-08-30 14:07 ` HASM
       [not found]   ` <mailman.14066.1504121908.21957.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: HASM @ 2017-08-30 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> since a previous update, when using M-x shell, the shell opens in a new
> buffer, splitting the window.

You could do:

  (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook 'delete-other-windows)

but that will only work the first time that "shell" buffer is created,
not if there is one already.

For the later case you may need to change the shell defun and add a call
to delete-other-windows after the pop-to-buffer (though I didn't test
it.)

-- HASM

* Re: [ shell buffer ] How not to split the current window?
@ 2017-08-30 19:38   ` Oleg Pykhalov
       [not found]   ` <mailman.14066.1504121908.21957.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Oleg Pykhalov @ 2017-08-30 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

HASM <hasm@example.invalid> writes:

>> since a previous update, when using M-x shell, the shell opens in a new
>> buffer, splitting the window.
>
> You could do:
>
>   (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook 'delete-other-windows)
>
> but that will only work the first time that "shell" buffer is created,
> not if there is one already.

Also you could make a key binding to (switch-to-buffer "*shell*").

@ 2017-08-30 23:23     ` notbob
       [not found]       ` <mailman.14080.1504137681.21957.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: notbob @ 2017-08-30 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2017-08-30, Oleg Pykhalov <go.wigust@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also you could make a key binding to (switch-to-buffer "*shell*").

It already exists.

C-x C-o (small oh) will move the cursor to the "other" window,
whatever that other window may be.  This can be invoked indefinitely
between the two open windows, moving the cursor back and forth between
the two, while leaving both windows open.

If you use C-x C-0 (zero), it will move the cursor to the "other"
window and CLOSE the window the cursor is currently in.  C-x C-1 (one)
will CLOSEY the other window while keeping current window open and the
cursor in the window the cursor is currently in.  Whew!

I don't know much about emacs, but I do know that!  ;)

nb

* Re: [ shell buffer ] How not to split the current window?
@ 2017-08-31  0:00       ` John Mastro
       [not found]       ` <mailman.14080.1504137681.21957.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: John Mastro @ 2017-08-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org; +Cc: notbob

notbob <notbob@nothome.com> wrote:
> If you use C-x C-0 (zero), it will move the cursor to the "other"
> window and CLOSE the window the cursor is currently in.  C-x C-1 (one)
> will CLOSEY the other window while keeping current window open and the
> cursor in the window the cursor is currently in.  Whew!

These should be `C-x 0' and `C-x 1' respectively (no control modifer on
the digit).

`C-x C-0' is bound to an unrelated command (`text-scale-adjust') and
`C-x C-1' is unbound.

        John

@ 2017-08-31  0:04         ` notbob
From: notbob @ 2017-08-31  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2017-08-31, John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> wrote:

> These should be `C-x 0' and `C-x 1' respectively (no control modifer on
> the digit).

DOH!!

Apparently, I know spit!  ;)

nb

* Re: [ shell buffer ] How not to split the current window?
@ 2017-08-31  1:04 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2017-08-31  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Chauvat; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Philippe,

AFAIU it sounds like you want an entry in `display-buffer-alist', e.g.

(add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist
             '("^\\*shell\\*" . (display-buffer-same-window)))

HTH,

Michael.

* Re: [ shell buffer ] How not to split the current window?
@ 2017-08-31  7:37   ` Philippe Chauvat
From: Philippe Chauvat @ 2017-08-31  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

Thanks a lot for the answers you already sent. Actually, looking at
them, I would say, I'd like to have something like:
- M-x shell == open a shell and make the buffer the only one displayed.

Or,
M-x shell (redefined) = M-x shell (current version splitting the buffer)
+ C-x 1 (making the shell buffer the only one displayed).

Cheers
Philippe

@ 2017-08-31 10:41     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2017-08-31 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Chauvat; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Philippe Chauvat <pchauvat@laposte.net> writes:

> M-x shell (redefined) = M-x shell (current version splitting the buffer)
> + C-x 1 (making the shell buffer the only one displayed).

I would still do that with `display-buffer-alist' (instead of advising
the function), e.g.

(add-to-list
 'display-buffer-alist
 `("^\\*shell\\*" .
   (,(defun my-display-shell-buffer-whole-frame (buffer alist)
       (prog1 (display-buffer-same-window buffer alist)
         (delete-other-windows))))))

Michael.

* Re: [ shell buffer ] How not to split the current window?
@ 2017-08-31 12:36       ` Philippe Chauvat
From: Philippe Chauvat @ 2017-08-31 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Michael,

It is just working fine. Thanks a lot. I wish my lisp skills were still
there :)

Best
Philippe