all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to close or kill *messages* window by using elisp script
@ 2019-06-04  8:08 Budi
From: Budi @ 2019-06-04  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How to close or kill *messages* window  by using script of emacs lisp

running this

(quit-window nil "*Messages*")

yields error:

window-normalize-window: *Messages* is not a live window

Sincere useful help is so invaluable

* Re: How to close or kill *messages* window by using elisp script
@ 2019-06-04 13:16 ` Budi
From: Budi @ 2019-06-04 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2019-06-04 13:23   ` Anders Dalskov
From: Anders Dalskov @ 2019-06-04 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Budi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

(kill-buffer "*Messages*")

--
- Anders

* Re: How to close or kill *messages* window by using elisp script
@ 2019-06-04 14:56   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2019-06-04 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Budi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Budi <budikusasi@gmail.com> writes:

> running this
>
> (quit-window nil "*Messages*")
>
> yields error:
>
> window-normalize-window: *Messages* is not a live window

You can get the window with `get-buffer-window-list' (a list cause there
can be more than one of course).

[ Dunno how your workflow is, but you might also like "winner.el" which
allows to go back in window config history (`winner-undo',
`winner-redo'). ]

Regards,

Michael.

* How to close or kill *messages* window by using elisp script
@ 2019-06-05  7:22 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2019-06-05  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: budikusasi; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > How to close or kill *messages* window  by using script of emacs lisp
 >

 > running this
 >
 > (quit-window nil "*Messages*")
 >
 > yields error:
 >
 > window-normalize-window: *Messages* is not a live window

The doc-string of 'quit-window' says

(quit-window &optional KILL WINDOW)

Quit WINDOW and bury its buffer.
WINDOW must be a live window and defaults to the selected one.

but *Messages* is a string most likely denoting a buffer.  Try
running

(let ((window (get-buffer-window "*Messages*")))
   (when (window-live-p window)
     (quit-window nil window)))

instead.

martin

* Re: How to close or kill *messages* window by using elisp script
@ 2019-06-05  7:52 ` Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs
From: Emanuel Berg via help-gnu-emacs @ 2019-06-05  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

martin rudalics wrote:

>> How to close or kill *messages* window  [...]
>
> The doc-string of 'quit-window' says [...]

Excuse me for asking, but why would anyone want
to kill *Messages*?

It will just reappear with the next message,
which should be like instantly!

If you close it all the time, and having it
appear all the time might even imply a small
but still overhead penalty...

So why do it?

--
underground experts united