all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Horrible new unsaved buffers dialog
@ 2022-01-29 10:40 xenodasein--- via Emacs development discussions.
From: xenodasein--- via Emacs development discussions. @ 2022-01-29 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: psainty; +Cc: emacs-devel

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-01/msg01754.htmlFrom: Phil Sainty> ...> The new dialog is unquestionably a lot simpler, but I don't> think that's a good thing.  If the reason for this change is> that other programs don't have "quit" dialogs which are useful> as the Emacs version, I don't think that's a good reason to> make the Emacs version less useful.  I would instead argue> that other programs would benefit from more useful dialogs.This argument is getting old, and not in a good way, wouldn't youagree?  Maybe it is wrong, and if it is not, this kind of elitismonly serves to drive others to alternatives.  Thinking of Lisp also.> I think the original dialog could be improved by making it> more *sophisticated* by providing the user with an overview> of all the unsaved buffers, but IMO this extreme simplification> is a step backwards.Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.  I don't believe toosimple is a thing, it is either simple, or dysfunctional iftoo simple.> The original dialog provided a streamlined way for the user> to do all the sorts of things which they will likely need> to do in this situation.  By removing those options you haven't> removed the user's need to do those things, but you've made> it harder for them to do it.You say streamlined, I say kitchen sink.