Hi Michael, Michael Albinus writes: > Michael Albinus writes: >> I've shortly tested the recipe given in that bug, and everything seems >> to be OK with your patch. I will apply your patch in your name to the >> emacs-28 branch, after I have merged it with other pending Tramp >> patches. > > Done. >> Perhaps you could provide a ChangeLog-style commit message? Thanks for taking care of fixing the style of my commit message. :) Hm, I had wanted to add that now ‘tramp-autoload-file-name-handler’ and ‘tramp-archive-autoload-file-name-handler’ look nearly the same, and that a nicer solution would be to revert the changes of 4db69b32b8 (“Fix bug#48476”) to tramp-archive.el and make the archive autoload handler an alias again to ‘tramp-autoload-file-name-handler’ as well as changing the latter to use ‘tramp-archive-enabled’ directly instead of via ‘tramp-archive-autoload’. Interestingly, this does not work (almost sent it without testing): it causes a similar issue as bug #48476 with an error message “Recursive load” (no hang due to an infinite loop though). Do you remember why using ‘defalias’ here causes an infinite recursion? The attached patch shows the erroneous changes described above. Here the steps from bug #48476 to reproduce the issue: mkdir foo.tar cd foo.tar emacs I also forced ‘tramp-gvfs-enabled’ to t because its checks do not seem to take the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS environment variable into account (which was set by dbus-run-session). Maybe this had a negative influence.