On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 09:04:06 +0000 Gregory Heytings wrote: >>> When I visit addons.json (from my Firefox directory), which is a single >>> line of (only) 19540 characters, and type `C-n' and hold down both keys, >>> the cursor stops moving almost immediately (on the third visual line) and >>> after letting go of the keys and waiting several seconds, point jumps down >>> the buffer to its actual position; likewise with `C-p'. This is on master >>> with -Q, and is no different from Emacs 28 (the only difference I notice is >>> that in master the buffer is wrongly fontified from position 8235 to the >>> end, while in 28 the entire buffer is correctly fontified). Is this >>> expected? (When I enable so-long-mode in the buffer, holding down `C-n' or >>> `C-p' produces no delay, both in master and 28.) >> >> That's not expected, no, and rather surprising because it would contradict >> what we've seen so far. Can you post that file somewhere? It contains nothing particularly personal, so I've attached it. >> The only possible >> reason I can see ATM is that the file contains Arabic characters, which are >> (and will remain) slow. No Arabic and only four non-ASCII characters (three occurrences of `’' and one of `É'). > I forgot to mention: did you try after disabling show-paren-mode? It is known > to slow down redisplay at the beginning and end of the buffer, and will > eventually be automatically turned off in these buffers. Disabling show-paren-mode makes no noticeable difference. Steve Berman