all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem in org-inlinetask-min-level's docstring?
@ 2022-11-25 10:07 Alain.Cochard
From: Alain.Cochard @ 2022-11-25 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

The last paragraph of this docstring is:

   It is strongly recommended that you set ‘org-cycle-max-level’ not
   at all, or to a number smaller than this one.  In fact, when
   ‘org-cycle-max-level’ is not set, it will be assumed to be one less
   than the value of smaller than the value of this variable.

I do not understand the last sentence, even assuming that the 1st 'of'
is 'or'.   Is my English the problem?

Thanks

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
ITE (Institut Terre & Environnement) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr

* Re: Problem in org-inlinetask-min-level's docstring?
@ 2022-11-25 10:33 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-11-25 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alain.cochard; +Cc: Org Mode List

Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr writes:

> The last paragraph of this docstring is:
>
>    It is strongly recommended that you set ‘org-cycle-max-level’ not
>    at all, or to a number smaller than this one.  In fact, when
>    ‘org-cycle-max-level’ is not set, it will be assumed to be one less
>    than the value of smaller than the value of this variable.
>
> I do not understand the last sentence, even assuming that the 1st 'of'
> is 'or'.   Is my English the problem?

That sentence is indeed screwed up.

Does `org-cycle-max-level' docstring sound better?

    Maximum level which should still be subject to visibility cycling.
    Levels higher than this will, for cycling, be treated as text, not a headline.
    When `org-odd-levels-only' is set, a value of N in this variable actually
    means 2N-1 stars as the limiting headline.
    When nil, cycle all levels.
    Note that the limiting level of cycling is also influenced by
    `org-inlinetask-min-level'.  When `org-cycle-max-level' is not set but
    `org-inlinetask-min-level' is, cycling will be limited to levels one less
    than its value.

We may simply replace the faulty sentence with a link to
`org-cycle-max-level' docstring.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,