Matt Armstrong writes: >>> 1) Harden Emacs such that signaled errors from >>> "package-quickstart.elc" don't prevent startup (but are somehow >>> saved and logged, maybe as warnings?). >> >> Agreed. I suspect it should also do things like delete the `.elc` >> file (and/or the `.el` file), or at least suggest doing it, so as to >> help diagnose/circumvent the problem. > > Ok, let's keep it on the list of possibilities. This (attached) approach seems to work in my manual testing. If you like the general idea I can polish it off (try to make a test, etc.). One thing that bothers me: because I fall back to `package--activate-all' even package that successfully activate in the quickstart file can have their activation code run twice, and they aren't necessarily idempotent operations. Do you think this is a significant problem? One possibility is to update `package-activated-list' and `Info-directory-list' incrementally in the quickstart file, so any signaled errors leave `package-activated-list' mostly-correct. This way, `package--activate-all' will attempt to activate only one package twice -- the one that signaled from the quickstart file.