all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
[parent not found: <mailman.569.1072272177.868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
@ 2003-12-21 20:47 M. Serkan Apaydin
From: M. Serkan Apaydin @ 2003-12-21 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> *From*: 	David B
> *Subject*: 	Re: emacs cvs over ssh question
> *Date*: 	08 Dec 2003 13:08:22 +0100
> *User-agent*: 	Gnus/5.09 (Gnus v5.9.0) Emacs/21.2

>Andrew Taylor <ataylor@bogus.example.com <http://mail.gnu.org/spam.html>> writes:
>>/ /
>>/ This doesn't address your specific problem, but I typically use RSA/
>>/ key authentication by adding my public key to the list of authorized/
>>/ keys on the CVS server./
>
>Actually that was the solution- many thanks!
>
>David

  Actually, I am also trying
to do the same. I have a remote repository, behind a firewall, and I can
connect it to it
using command line cvs, e.g. by saying:
setenv CVSROOT :ext:apaydin@robo:~/cvs_repository

but then when I try to use cvs within emacs, I get the error:
/usr/bin/ssh-askpass could not be found.

ssh-askpass is actually in /usr/local/bin,
and I could not find how to tell emacs where to look
for ssh-askpass. Simple add-path to .emacs in the form of:

(setq load-path (cons "/usr/local/bin/" load-path))
did not help.

Trying the solution suggested by Andrew Taylor requires setting the
CVSROOT as :pserver:apaydin@robo:~/cvs_repository
however then cvs login does not work, as connection is rejected by robo
since it is a firewall.

I was wondering you know of any solution for this case.

Thanks,

serkan

* emacs cvs over ssh question
@ 2003-12-05 21:05 David B
       [not found] ` <bE6Ab.569810$pl3.446339@pd7tw3no>
From: David B @ 2003-12-05 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I am trying to use the CVS functionality in emacs on Linux (RedHat 9).
I can connect to my repository over SSH and perform all tasks from the
shell, but when I try to do the same tasks from the emacs menu, I get
errors.

Error number one:
Message: ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/lib/ssh/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
Message: Write failed: Broken pipe

This is resolved by installing X11-ssh-askpass, but this then leads to
a second error relating to failed authentification keys (cant remember
exact sytax- on a different box at the moment)

ssh version is
OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f

emacs version is
21.2

I have searched the web quite extensively, and have found many
pointers that suggest that cvs over ssh is possible in emacs, however
there is no concrete documentation in the pertinent places (emacs FAQ,
pcl_cvs faq, openssh.org), and the snippets that I have gained from
browsing google are promising but incomplete.

So- how does emacs access remote cvs repositories that use ssh
authentification?

Dave