all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs scrolls too fast when mouse-dragging selection
@ 2004-02-11 21:21 nospam55
From: nospam55 @ 2004-02-11 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

from many months I suffer a misbehavior of my new emacs on redhat 8.

I click and drag down with the mouse on the window to extend selection:
when I reach the top margin of the window then the text in the window scrolls upwards in order
to make visible new text down ; all of this is normal behavior, of course; the
problem is that right after the first lines , the scrolling becomes suddenly too
fast to control, and I "crash" quickly on the end of file, almost always far too
down for the amount of text I wanted to select.

How can I get a smoother scrolling ?

 thank you for reading :-)

* Re: emacs scrolls too fast when mouse-dragging selection
@ 2004-02-12  7:25 ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2004-02-12  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, nospa@no.yahoo.no wrote:

>  Hi
>
>  from many months I suffer a misbehavior of my new emacs on redhat 8.
>
>  I click and drag down with the mouse on the window to extend selection:
>  when I reach the top margin of the window then the text in the window
>  scrolls upwards in order to make visible new text down ; all of this is
>  normal behavior, of course; the problem is that right after the first lines
>  , the scrolling becomes suddenly too fast to control, and I "crash" quickly
>  on the end of file, almost always far too down for the amount of text I
>  wanted to select.

Not a solution but a confirmation that you are not the only one who is annoyed
by this behavior. really very annoying...

>  How can I get a smoother scrolling ?

I'm wondering too...

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

* Re: emacs scrolls too fast when mouse-dragging selection
@ 2004-02-12 17:39   ` nospam55
From: nospam55 @ 2004-02-12 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>  How can I get a smoother scrolling ?
>
> I'm wondering too...
>
> Klaus

I hope somebody will help
our many people suffering this .
With the emacs of SuSE 7.1 the behavior was fine !

 nospam55

* Re: emacs scrolls too fast when mouse-dragging selection
@ 2004-02-14 18:42 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-02-14 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

nospam55 <nospa@no.yahoo.no> writes:

> I click and drag down with the mouse on the window to extend
> selection: when I reach the top margin of the window then the text
> in the window scrolls upwards in order to make visible new text down
> ; all of this is normal behavior, of course; the problem is that
> right after the first lines , the scrolling becomes suddenly too
> fast to control, and I "crash" quickly on the end of file, almost
> always far too down for the amount of text I wanted to select.

Does it help to frob the variable mouse-scroll-delay?

Does it help to frob scroll-conservatively?  (My understanding is you
need to give it a high value, but I'm not sure.)

Kai

* RE: emacs scrolls too fast when mouse-dragging selection
@ 2004-02-17 20:48 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2004-02-17 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, February 14, 2004 12:43 PM Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> nospam55 <nospa@no.yahoo.no> writes:
>
>> I click and drag down with the mouse on the window to extend
>> selection: when I reach the top margin of the window then the text
>> in the window scrolls upwards in order to make visible new text down
>> ; all of this is normal behavior, of course; the problem is that
>> right after the first lines , the scrolling becomes suddenly too
>> fast to control, and I "crash" quickly on the end of file, almost
>> always far too down for the amount of text I wanted to select.
>
> Does it help to frob the variable mouse-scroll-delay?
>
> Does it help to frob scroll-conservatively?  (My understanding is you
> need to give it a high value, but I'm not sure.)

I too have noticed this fast scrolling and been annoyed by it, so I
tried Kai suggestions and found that they have no effect on the fast
scrolling.
While trying them I believe that I may have found a bug.  When I placed
the cursor at the start of a word before dragging commenced scrolling
proceeded at a reasonable rate (and with the mouse-scroll-delay set to
0.5 rather than 0.25 scrolling was noticeably slower), but when I placed
the cursor in the middle of a word scrolling took off like it is going
to a fire (regardless of the value in mouse-scroll-delay).  This occurs
in the following modes: text mode, awk mode and shell script mode.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Quality
Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W.
Crane-

* Re: emacs scrolls too fast when mouse-dragging selection
@ 2004-02-18 10:03     ` Michael M Mason
From: Michael M Mason @ 2004-02-18 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:39:12 +0100, nospam55 <nospa@no.yahoo.no>
wrote:
>>>  How can I get a smoother scrolling ?
>>
>> I'm wondering too...
>
>I hope somebody will help
>our many people suffering this .
>With the emacs of SuSE 7.1 the behavior was fine !

I get similar behaviour under Windows XP so I don't think it has much
to do with the SuSE!

Interestingly, it's also difficult to select large areas in MS Excel
using the mouse: if you move the mouse just outside the window area it
scrolls steadily, but move another pixel or two further away and it
suddenly sets off at something like 500 rows a second.

So I always use the keyboard for selecting text.

--
Michael