I don't know if it's related to a recent change in Emacs, or due to the fact that Debian unstable now has GTK+ version 2.6.9 but I'm seeing something odd with GTK menus: they seem to disappear every time a timer expires. For example, if I call M-x display-splash-screen, then open a menu and keep it open (by not clicking on anything), the menu disappears when the help items change in the buffer. The same happens if I keep the pointer above a menu entry and wait for the tooltip to appear and then go away: when the tooltip disappears, so does the menu. The menu bar looks like this when a menu has disappeared: