all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ispell-dictionary with aspell
@ 2005-09-17  5:46 Sebastian Luque
From: Sebastian Luque @ 2005-09-17  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Even though I have the following:

(setq ispell-program-name "aspell"
      ispell-dictionary "english")

when I do M-$ to check some spelling, I get the following backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Error: No word lists can be found for the language \"us\".")
  signal(error ("Error: No word lists can be found for the language \"us\"."))
  error("%s" "Error: No word lists can be found for the language \"us\".")
  ispell-init-process()
  ispell-buffer-local-words()
  ispell-accept-buffer-local-defs()
  ispell-word(nil nil nil)
  call-interactively(ispell-word)

and the value of ispell-dictionary after that gets set to nil.

However, if I do M-x ispell-change-dictionary RET english RET, then
there's no problem.

Has anybody else seen this or have some pointers on what's going on?

Thanks in advance,

--
Sebastian P. Luque

* Re: ispell-dictionary with aspell
       [not found] <mailman.7328.1126936677.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-09-19  1:09 ` netcasper
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7452.1127100421.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: netcasper @ 2005-09-19  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

try
(setq-default ispell-dictionary "english")

* Re: ispell-dictionary with aspell
@ 2005-09-19  3:20   ` Sebastian Luque
       [not found]   ` <mailman.7452.1127100421.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Luque @ 2005-09-19  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

"netcasper@gmail.com" <netcasper@gmail.com> wrote:

> try
> (setq-default ispell-dictionary "english")

Thanks, but it didn't help.  Using (ispell-change-dictionary "english") in
~/.emacs didn't help either.

hmm...will have to get used to M-x ispell-change-dictionary at the start
of sessions.

--

@ 2005-09-19  7:09     ` Liang Wang
From: Liang Wang @ 2005-09-19  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just checked my .emacs file.

(setq ispell-prgoram-name "aspell")
(set-default 'ispell-local-dictioniary "american")

* Re: ispell-dictionary with aspell
@ 2005-09-19  9:41       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-09-19  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.09.2005 um 09:09 schrieb Liang Wang:

> (set-default 'ispell-local-dictioniary "american")

This seems to make a difference to me! Interestingly aspell works with
the 'german' dictionary, but not with 'de' or 'de_DE'. Even more
interestingly I can use a non-existent dictionary 'german8' -- but
different from ispell aspell still does not recognize words with
diacritics in them.

I think aspell needs some more decades of development until it reaches
the state ispell had 15 years ago ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they
start selling vacuum cleaners.