all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to add VIM * functionality in EMACS VIPER mode?
       [not found] <1131238350.577918.73380@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>
@ 2005-11-06  0:55 ` Weihua JIANG
       [not found] ` <mailman.14117.1131238523.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Weihua JIANG @ 2005-11-06  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

In normal mode of VIM, there is a very good functionality: when cursor
under any position of a word, you can press key "*" to use the whole
word under cursor (including both the chars before the cursor and after
it) as search pattern.

Now I switched to EMACS with VIPER mode. But VIPER lacks such
functionality. Can any one tell me how to implement it in VIPER with
some elisp code?

Thanks
Weihua Jiang

* Re: How to add VIM * functionality in EMACS VIPER mode?
@ 2005-11-06  1:28   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-11-06  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Weihua JIANG wrote:

> In normal mode of VIM, there is a very good functionality: when cursor
> under any position of a word, you can press key "*" to use the whole
> word under cursor (including both the chars before the cursor and after
> it) as search pattern.
>
> Now I switched to EMACS with VIPER mode. But VIPER lacks such
> functionality. Can any one tell me how to implement it in VIPER with
> some elisp code?
>
> Thanks
> Weihua Jiang

Hi Weihua,

This has been discussed on EmacsWiki, see
http://emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SearchAtPoint for several solutions.

@ 2005-11-06  1:38   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2005-11-06  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Weihua JIANG writes:

> Now I switched to EMACS with VIPER mode. But VIPER lacks such
> functionality. Can any one tell me how to implement it in VIPER with
> some elisp code?

C-s C-w do the job.

--
Bastien

* Re: How to add VIM * functionality in EMACS VIPER mode?
@ 2005-11-06  2:01     ` Weihua JIANG
From: Weihua JIANG @ 2005-11-06  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart,
 Thank you very much! Now I have the * functionality in VIPER mode. Below is
my code:

(defun search-at-point ()
"Put symbol at current point into search string."
(interactive)
(setq viper-s-string (concat "\\<" (symbol-name (symbol-at-point)) "\\>"))
(setq viper-s-forward t)
;; TODO: Handle case where symbol-at-point returns nil.
(viper-search viper-s-string viper-s-forward 1))

(define-key viper-vi-global-user-map (kbd "*") 'search-at-point)

Thanks,
Weihua, Jiang

@ 2005-11-06  2:12       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-11-06  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nice. Maybe I as a die hard viper user also should say that I often use
C-s to search too. It is very handy when you want to read information. I
very often use C-s in Info for example.

@ 2005-11-06  2:32         ` Weihua JIANG
From: Weihua JIANG @ 2005-11-06  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart,
 Another question about viper: how to change the key for viper modes change?
The default one is C-z and I set variable viper-toggle-key to "\C-q" in my
.viper file. However, now both C-z and C-q is able to switch between viper
modes. But, my hope is to bind C-z to undo as CUA mode does!
 My environment: emacs 22.0.50 CVS + CUA mode enabled!
 Anyone can give a help?

@ 2005-11-06  2:41           ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-11-06  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

In version 22.0.50 viper-toggle-key is a defcustom. Use

    C-h v viper-toggle-key RET

to get the description for the variable. There is an underlined link to
"customize" where you can change it. I do not know why it does not work
in .viper any more. However the Customize is much better here since you
can change it while you are running Emacs.

I have entered

   [(f6)]

for the value in Customize.

@ 2005-11-06  2:50             ` Weihua JIANG