all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* asm mode for emacs?
@ 2005-11-21 19:24 Paminu
From: Paminu @ 2005-11-21 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am starting to write some .asm files in emacs and was wondering if there
exist an asm mode for emacs. I have tried to google one, but I only find
other people asking the same question without any answers. Hope somone can
help!

* Re: asm mode for emacs?
@ 2005-11-21 19:36 ` Henrik Enberg
       [not found] ` <mailman.16212.1132601793.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2005-11-21 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Paminu <jadajada@asd.com>
> Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:24:03 +0100
>
> I am starting to write some .asm files in emacs and was wondering if
> there exist an asm mode for emacs. I have tried to google one, but I
> only find other people asking the same question without any
> answers. Hope somone can help!

M-x asm-mode RET

It should happen automatically when you open a file with an .asm
extension.

* Re: asm mode for emacs?
       [not found] ` <mailman.16212.1132601793.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-11-21 20:10   ` Paminu
From: Paminu @ 2005-11-21 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henrik Enberg wrote:

>> From: Paminu <jadajada@asd.com>
>> Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:24:03 +0100
>>
>> I am starting to write some .asm files in emacs and was wondering if
>> there exist an asm mode for emacs. I have tried to google one, but I
>> only find other people asking the same question without any
>> answers. Hope somone can help!
>
> M-x asm-mode RET
>
> It should happen automatically when you open a file with an .asm
> extension.

it seems that it uses NASM mode instead. Only the labels gets colored the
rest is just black letters and there are no indentions.

* Re: asm mode for emacs?
       [not found] ` <mailman.16212.1132601793.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-11-21 21:22 ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2005-11-21 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paminu <jadajada@asd.com> writes:

> I am starting to write some .asm files in emacs and was wondering if there
> exist an asm mode for emacs. I have tried to google one, but I only find
> other people asking the same question without any answers. Hope somone can
> help!

Why, there's an asm-mode delivered with emacs.

Perhaps the your auto-mode-alist doesn't map '.asm' to asm-mode? By
default on unix, asm files are named with: '.s'.
Or you can prepend a first line: ;; -*- mode: asm -*-

--
"Indentation! -- I will show you how to indent when I indent your skull!"

* Re: asm mode for emacs?
@ 2005-11-21 22:27   ` Paminu
From: Paminu @ 2005-11-21 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> Paminu <jadajada@asd.com> writes:
>
>> I am starting to write some .asm files in emacs and was wondering if
>> there exist an asm mode for emacs. I have tried to google one, but I only
>> find other people asking the same question without any answers. Hope
>> somone can help!
>
> Why, there's an asm-mode delivered with emacs.
>
> Perhaps the your auto-mode-alist doesn't map '.asm' to asm-mode? By
> default on unix, asm files are named with: '.s'.
> Or you can prepend a first line: ;; -*- mode: asm -*-

For some reason it uses NASM mode instead and it only makes labels in colors
everything else just acts as in normal textmode.

* Re: asm mode for emacs?
@ 2005-11-22 20:30     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-11-22 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> For some reason it uses NASM mode instead and it only makes labels in colors
> everything else just acts as in normal textmode.

I don't know what makes you think it uses NASM mode.
It indeed doesn't provide too many features.
The version in Emacs-CVS is slightly more featureful, tho still
pretty limited.  It basically only provide very basic highlighting
and indentation.

The problem is that it's intended to be generic for "any" assembly language,
so it can't be too clever.

Patches welcome,

* Re: asm mode for emacs?
@ 2005-11-23 16:09       ` Paminu
From: Paminu @ 2005-11-23 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> skrev i en meddelelse
>> For some reason it uses NASM mode instead and it only makes labels in
>> colors
>> everything else just acts as in normal textmode.
>
> I don't know what makes you think it uses NASM mode.

Well it writes NASM in the bottom menu.

* Re: asm mode for emacs?
@ 2005-11-25  4:27         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-11-25  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> For some reason it uses NASM mode instead and it only makes labels in
>>> colors everything else just acts as in normal textmode.
>> I don't know what makes you think it uses NASM mode.
> Well it writes NASM in the bottom menu.

Hmm... mine says "Assembler".  I think nobody but me hacked on this since
Emacs-21.1, so either you're not using the same as mine, or I simply forgot
that I changed the mode-name.