all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* english-english dictionary for emacs
@ 2006-02-06 12:29 Pawel
From: Pawel @ 2006-02-06 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo
I wonder whether there is ready to use english-english dictionary for emacs.
Do You know something about that ?
Greetings

* Re: english-english dictionary for emacs
@ 2006-02-06 19:32 ` leon
From: leon @ 2006-02-06 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: english-english dictionary for emacs
       [not found] <mailman.241.1139229483.2870.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-02-06 19:54 ` Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2006-02-06 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pawel wrote on 06 Feb 2006 13:29:09 MET:

> I wonder whether there is ready to use english-english
> dictionary for emacs.  Do You know something about that ?

Maybe mthesaur.el is what your looking for:

<URL:http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/mthesaur.el>

HTH

Patrick
--
"Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms." (Groucho Marx)

* RE: english-english dictionary for emacs
@ 2006-02-07 16:08   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-02-07 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > I wonder whether there is ready to use english-english
    > dictionary for emacs.  Do You know something about that ?

    Maybe mthesaur.el is what your looking for:
    <URL:http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/mthesaur.el>

Mthesaur does not provide definitions of terms; it provides only synonym
lists.

Synonyms does the same thing, plus more:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/synonyms.el (doc:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Synonyms).

Synonyms also provides commands that look up dictionary definitions on the
Web.

* Re: english-english dictionary for emacs
       [not found] <mailman.115.1139329039.3144.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-02-07 23:11 ` Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2006-02-07 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Drew Adams wrote on 07 Feb 2006 17:08:06 MET:

>     > I wonder whether there is ready to use english-english
>     > dictionary for emacs.  Do You know something about that ?
>
>     Maybe mthesaur.el is what your looking for:
>     <URL:http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/mthesaur.el>
>
> Mthesaur does not provide definitions of terms; it provides
> only synonym lists.
>
> Synonyms does the same thing, plus more:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/synonyms.el (doc:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Synonyms).
>
> Synonyms also provides commands that look up dictionary
> definitions on the Web.

Thanks for the pointer, sounds interesting! I'll give it a try...

Cheers

Patrick
--
Coun John Hipkin, Mayor of Cambridge: "I think the police should
come down heavily, move these people on [city drunks], and