all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* X commands not forwarding
@ 2006-08-24 15:16 lackita
From: lackita @ 2006-08-24 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm sshing into a computer and wanted to forward the X commands to my desktop
for obvious reasons.  The problem is that it always runs as if it has the
-nox option.  I can get other programs to tunnel, so I know it's not a
problem with my x server.  It's possible that this is a version of emacs
without X capabilities, so could somebody tell me how to check for that as a
starting point.
Sent from the Emacs - Help forum at Nabble.com.

* Re: X commands not forwarding
@ 2006-08-24 16:19 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-08-24 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

lackita wrote:
> I'm sshing into a computer and wanted to forward the X commands to my desktop
> for obvious reasons.  The problem is that it always runs as if it has the
> -nox option.  I can get other programs to tunnel, so I know it's not a
> problem with my x server.  It's possible that this is a version of emacs
> without X capabilities, so could somebody tell me how to check for that as a
> starting point.

In a shell:
ldd /usr/local/bin/emacs | grep libX

In Emacs, the splash screen or `M-x emacs-version' displays the X
toolkit it was built with (if any).

--
Kevin

* Re: X commands not forwarding
       [not found] <mailman.5559.1156433772.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-08-24 19:27 ` Mark T.B. Carroll
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5580.1156454300.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mark T.B. Carroll @ 2006-08-24 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

lackita <lackita@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm sshing into a computer and wanted to forward the X commands to my desktop
> for obvious reasons.  The problem is that it always runs as if it has the
> -nox option.  I can get other programs to tunnel, so I know it's not a
> problem with my x server.  It's possible that this is a version of emacs
> without X capabilities, so could somebody tell me how to check for that as a
> starting point.

That's interesting. To answer your question, perhaps if you do

       ldd `which emacs`

then you can see if it's linked against things like libX11.

I can't be sure that text-only ones wouldn't be, but I'd guess that they
mightn't. (-:

Does the ssh daemon on your desktop allow X forwarding? For instance, my
sshd has a config file with a X11Forwarding option that I have to set
to 'yes' for X forwarding to be permitted.

(Apologies for the Unix/Linux-centric view, if you're a Windows user.)

-- Mark

* Re: X commands not forwarding
@ 2006-08-24 20:14   ` lackita
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5580.1156454300.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: lackita @ 2006-08-24 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Carroll wrote:

> lackita <lackita@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm sshing into a computer and wanted to forward the X commands to my
>> desktop
>> for obvious reasons.  The problem is that it always runs as if it has the
>> -nox option.  I can get other programs to tunnel, so I know it's not a
>> problem with my x server.  It's possible that this is a version of emacs
>> without X capabilities, so could somebody tell me how to check for that
>> as a
>> starting point.
>
> That's interesting. To answer your question, perhaps if you do
>
>        ldd `which emacs`
>
> then you can see if it's linked against things like libX11.

It appears that it isn't linked against any X libraries.  My next question
would therefore be how I could modify the program to link against such
libraries.

Mark Carroll wrote:

> I can't be sure that text-only ones wouldn't be, but I'd guess that they
> mightn't. (-:
>
> Does the ssh daemon on your desktop allow X forwarding? For instance, my
> sshd has a config file with a X11Forwarding option that I have to set
> to 'yes' for X forwarding to be permitted.

Other programs have successfully forwarded.  The specific example I used was
xpdf.

@ 2006-08-24 21:31     ` Mark T.B. Carroll
From: Mark T.B. Carroll @ 2006-08-24 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

lackita <lackita@gmail.com> writes:
(snip)
> It appears that it isn't linked against any X libraries.  My next question
> would therefore be how I could modify the program to link against such
> libraries.
(snip)

Okay, we'll assume you have no X forwarding problems then. (-:

You'd probably have to get a different version from wherever that emacs
came from, or recompile it with different options if it was compiled
with source. If you need more help then: What sort of system is it that
this emacs is living on? Where did the emacs come from?

(I assume it probably isn't statically linked with libX11.)

-- Mark

* Re: X commands not forwarding
@ 2006-08-24 21:36     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-08-24 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 24.08.2006 um 22:14 schrieb lackita:

> It appears that it isn't linked against any X libraries.  My next
> question
> would therefore be how I could modify the program to link against such
> libraries.

Install a C compiler and install the X11 developer packages. Then
configure GNU Emacs with '--with-x' and look at the end of
configure's output. There it should be mentioned that X libraries
where found:

   What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
   What toolkit should Emacs use?                          LUCID
   Where do we find X Windows header files?                /usr/X11R6/
include
   Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   /usr/X11R6/
lib

Then compile and install!

If configure did not find X, then better get a pre-compiled version.

--
Greetings

   Pete       (: