all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* customizing header-line face
@ 2007-03-20 15:40 Ralf Mattes
From: Ralf Mattes @ 2007-03-20 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello list,

is there any convenient way to customize the face used for header-lines
buffer-local? I'm trying to get header lines with different backgrund
color for different buffers (on the same frame).
I discovered the 'header-line face but since faces seem to dwell in the
plist of a symbol making 'header-line buffer-local doesn't work.
Any ideas?

 tia Ralf Mattes

* Re: customizing header-line face
@ 2007-03-20 15:54 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2007-03-20 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Mattes; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ralf Mattes <rm@mh-freiburg.de> writes:

> Hello list,
>
> is there any convenient way to customize the face used for header-lines
> buffer-local? I'm trying to get header lines with different backgrund
> color for different buffers (on the same frame).

You can add the face explicitly to the header-line-format string, e.g.

(setq header-line-format (propertize "MY HEADERLINE %-" 'face 'mode-line))

* Re: customizing header-line face
@ 2007-03-20 16:30   ` Ralf Mattes
From: Ralf Mattes @ 2007-03-20 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:54:02 +0100, Kim F. Storm wrote:

> Ralf Mattes <rm@mh-freiburg.de> writes:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> is there any convenient way to customize the face used for header-lines
>> buffer-local? I'm trying to get header lines with different backgrund
>> color for different buffers (on the same frame).
>
> You can add the face explicitly to the header-line-format string, e.g.
>
> (setq header-line-format (propertize "MY HEADERLINE %-" 'face 'mode-line))

Yes, i tried that too but unfortunately this will only change the
face/color of the text span itself. I'd prefer a solution that affects
the complete header line.

 Cheers, RalfD

* Re: customizing header-line face
@ 2007-03-21  9:13     ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2007-03-21  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Mattes; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ralf Mattes <rm@mh-freiburg.de> writes:

>> (setq header-line-format (propertize "MY HEADERLINE %-" 'face 'mode-line))
>
> Yes, i tried that too but unfortunately this will only change the
> face/color of the text span itself. I'd prefer a solution that affects
> the complete header line.

Did you TRY the above example??

The %- at the end makes it fill the whole line.

But you may like this better:

(setq header-line-format
      (propertize (concat "MY HEADERLINE" (make-string 200 ?\s)) 'face 'mode-line))

* Re: customizing header-line face
@ 2007-03-21 14:25       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-03-21 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kim F. Storm; +Cc: Ralf Mattes, emacs-devel

> (setq header-line-format
>       (propertize (concat "MY HEADERLINE" (make-string 200 ?\s)) 'face 'mode-line))

With my default font setting on my default screen, my full-width windows
have a bit more than 260 columns.

* Re: customizing header-line face
@ 2007-03-21 23:35       ` Ralf Mattes
From: Ralf Mattes @ 2007-03-21 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:13:05 +0100, Kim F. Storm wrote:

> Ralf Mattes <rm@mh-freiburg.de> writes:
>
>>> (setq header-line-format (propertize "MY HEADERLINE %-" 'face 'mode-line))
>>
>> Yes, i tried that too but unfortunately this will only change the
>> face/color of the text span itself. I'd prefer a solution that affects
>> the complete header line.dssi-vst-server.cpp:
>
> Did you TRY the above example??
>
> The %- at the end makes it fill the whole line.

Yes, but unfortunately i don't need a header line filled with ?\-
characters ;-/

> But you may like this better:
>
> (setq header-line-format
>       (propertize (concat "MY HEADERLINE" (make-string 200 ?\s)) 'face
>       'mode-line))

IIRC I didn't ask for a quick (and quirky ...) hack. Yes, i can actually
twiddle my way around  this (i need to calculate the buffer size anyway) -
i was more interested in a correct/generic soultion.

 Thanks anyway, RalfD

* Re: customizing header-line face
@ 2007-03-22  0:45         ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2007-03-22  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Mattes; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ralf Mattes <rm@mh-freiburg.de> writes:
> IIRC I didn't ask for a quick (and quirky ...) hack. Yes, i can actually
> twiddle my way around  this (i need to calculate the buffer size anyway) -
> i was more interested in a correct/generic soultion.

I have a patch that allows buffer-specific faces, but it's not part of
the main sources.

-Miles

--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us.  -- Jerry Garcia