all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Not putting the delete into the kill ring
@ 2007-04-25  7:00 Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2007-04-25  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is it possible to 'kill' something without putting it into the kill-ring?

* Re: Not putting the delete into the kill ring
@ 2007-04-25  7:56 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2007-04-25  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cecil Westerhof <dummy@dummy.nl> writes:

> Is it possible to 'kill' something without putting it into the kill-ring?

Not sure, but I think this may be a feature added in emacs 22. I seem to
remember something about this from the emacs 22 NEWS file.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Not putting the delete into the kill ring
@ 2007-04-25  9:55 ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2007-04-25  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cecil Westerhof <dummy@dummy.nl> writes:

> Is it possible to 'kill' something without putting it into the
> kill-ring?

Use delete-region, etc.

--
William

The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky.
		-- David Gerrold

* Re: Not putting the delete into the kill ring
@ 2007-04-25 12:35 ` Daniel Jensen
From: Daniel Jensen @ 2007-04-25 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Cecil Westerhof <dummy@dummy.nl> writes:

> Is it possible to 'kill' something without putting it into the kill-ring?

It is possible. This is called deleting. You may be familiar with
delete-char (C-d) and delete-backward-char (DEL). You can delete the
region with M-x delete-region RET.

* Re: Not putting the delete into the kill ring
@ 2007-04-25 19:29   ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2007-04-25 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel Jensen wrote:
>> Is it possible to 'kill' something without putting it into the kill-ring?
>
> It is possible. This is called deleting. You may be familiar with
> delete-char (C-d) and delete-backward-char (DEL). You can delete the
> region with M-x delete-region RET.

Okay, thanks. Maybe I'll define a key for that. ;-}