all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mouse-set-font should make a checkmark or something
@ 2008-01-05  3:48 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-01-05  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Gentlemen, use mouse-set-font, then use it again, going to
where you were the first time. Notice how it's just not
going to tell you what font is in effect right now, even
though we are staring right at it now. Nope. No hint in
the menu there of the current font in effect. Nope, you'll
just have to get that information elsewhere. emacs-version
"22.1.1".

* Re: mouse-set-font should make a checkmark or something
@ 2008-01-05 14:30 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2008-01-05 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: jidanni; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

    Gentlemen, use mouse-set-font, then use it again, going to
    where you were the first time.

To help us reproduce the problem, could you please post a *precise*
test case for this bug?

The test case should start with `emacs -q', so that your .emacs file
does not affect it, and it should show exactly what text to put in the
buffer, what commands to execute, and how and where to click.  Also
please say exactly what incorrect results you get.

* Re: mouse-set-font should make a checkmark or something
@ 2008-01-05 17:30   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-01-05 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

r> post a *precise*

I am pleased to say that you just can't miss it:
$ emacs -Q #emacs-version "22.1.1" here.
<S-down-mouse-1>
At this point choose your favorite font. Now do
<S-down-mouse-1>
again and go to that same place in the menus where you just chose your favorite
font.

Notice that even though we just chose it in step 1, there is no
helpful checkmark left sitting there showing that it is the current
font in effect. Nope, it's just like an elevator where yes, the
buttons all work, but there is no light inside to show you what
current floor your are on.

Perhaps even from the first tiny menu seen upon hitting
<S-down-mouse-1> we could be shown checkmarks, or pushed-in item
shadows.

Or maybe, as fonts are like a mystery to me, maybe the
primary/secondary font concept or whatever escaped my brain and never
mind.