all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Getting VC to notice updates to a file's status?
@ 2010-02-26 23:14 Davis Herring
From: Davis Herring @ 2010-02-26 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs Help

If I edit a file in Emacs, but then instead of committing it via vc (C-x v
v), I do the commit in a shell, is there a way to ask VC to examine the
file again to see what version it is (now) and to see that it's not
modified?  `revert-buffer' seems to do this (but it loses the undo
history), and C-x v v seemed to do it in versions prior to 23.

Thanks,
Davis

shipping.

* Re: Getting VC to notice updates to a file's status?
@ 2010-02-27 18:37 ` Óscar Fuentes
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2010-02-27 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Davis Herring" <herring@lanl.gov> writes:

> If I edit a file in Emacs, but then instead of committing it via vc (C-x v
> v), I do the commit in a shell, is there a way to ask VC to examine the
> file again to see what version it is (now) and to see that it's not
> modified?  `revert-buffer' seems to do this (but it loses the undo
> history), and C-x v v seemed to do it in versions prior to 23.

The next Emacs release checks the VC status every time the buffer is
saved. So you can write a letter, delete it, save and the VC status will
be reloaded.

Not elegant, but works and is faster than M-x revert-buffer, plus keeps
the undo history.