all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* symbols verses words
@ 2011-03-03  0:20 Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-03-03  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs List

I need some help understanding Emac's design.  I use a lot of "word" constructs where I *think* I should be using symbol.  For example, if I'm writing C code and I want to find foo but not foo_bar, I usually do \<foo\> but really it seems that I should be doing \_<foo\_> ... fine.  I can make that adjustment.  But when I do incremental search, I often hit ^w to pull in the next word but what I really want (often but not always) is to pull in the next symbol (into the search string).  So if I'm sitting at this_that, I'd ilke to hit ^W (perhaps) and pull in this_that instead of just this.

So, I started looking at isearch-yank-word-or-char and I was going to concoct isearch-yank-symbol-or-char and got stuck-- at least briefly.  Because not only is _ marked as symbol, -, +, /, *, etc are marked as symbol characters too.  So now, I'm confused...

If I have:  this  this_that  this-that

and search for \_<this\_> I hit the first and third this -- which is exactly what I want.  But how is it doing that since this_that and this-that are the same as far as looking at the syntax table entries?  They are both wwww_wwww.

I'd like to understand how the \_< and \_> constructs work so I can make my isearch-yank-symbol-or-char work in a consistent manner.

Thanks,
Perry

* Re: symbols verses words
@ 2011-03-03  7:52 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-03-03  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.03.2011 01:20, schrieb Perry Smith:
> I need some help understanding Emac's design.  I use a lot of "word" constructs where I *think* I should be using symbol.  For example, if I'm writing C code and I want to find foo but not foo_bar, I usually do \<foo\>  but really it seems that I should be doing \_<foo\_>  ... fine.  I can make that adjustment.  But when I do incremental search, I often hit ^w to pull in the next word but what I really want (often but not always) is to pull in the next symbol (into the search string).  So if I'm sitting at this_that, I'd ilke to hit ^W (perhaps) and pull in this_that instead of just this.
>
> So, I started looking at isearch-yank-word-or-char and I was going to concoct isearch-yank-symbol-or-char and got stuck-- at least briefly.  Because not only is _ marked as symbol, -, +, /, *, etc are marked as symbol characters too.  So now, I'm confused...
>
> If I have:  this  this_that  this-that
>
> and search for \_<this\_>  I hit the first and third this -- which is exactly what I want.

Which should not happen IMHO, as

`\_>'
      matches the empty string, but only at the end of a symbol

and your third this of this-that is not at the end.

BTW can't reproduce this with C-M-s, isearch-repeat-forward

it doesn't match this-that, as expected.

Looks like a bug, maybe try the last pre-release, which works fine here:

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.3-rc1.tar.gz

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode/python-mode-components
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

  But how is it doing that since this_that and this-that are the same as
far as looking at the syntax table entries?  They are both wwww_wwww.

> I'd like to understand how the \_<  and \_>  constructs work so I can make my isearch-yank-symbol-or-char work in a consistent manner.
>
> Thanks,
> Perry

* Re: symbols verses words
@ 2011-03-03 10:19 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-03-03 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Perry,

> I need some help understanding Emac's design.  I use a lot of "word"
> constructs where I *think* I should be using symbol.  For example, if
> I'm writing C code and I want to find foo but not foo_bar, I usually
> do \<foo\> but really it seems that I should be doing \_<foo\_>
> ... fine.  I can make that adjustment.  But when I do incremental
> search, I often hit ^w to pull in the next word but what I really want
> (often but not always) is to pull in the next symbol (into the search
> string).  So if I'm sitting at this_that, I'd ilke to hit ^W (perhaps)
> and pull in this_that instead of just this.

I think, something like that should do the trick:

(defun isearch-yank-symbol-or-char ()
  "Pull next character or symbol from buffer into search string."
  (interactive)
  (isearch-yank-internal
   (lambda ()
     (if (or (memq (char-syntax (or (char-after) 0)) '(?w ?_))
             (memq (char-syntax (or (char-after (1+ (point))) 0)) '(?w ?_)))
         (forward-symbol 1)
       (forward-char 1))
     (point))))

(define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-S-w") 'isearch-yank-symbol-or-char)

So when you are on a word constituent (?w) or on a symbol constituent
(?_), then do `forward-symbol', else `forward-char'.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: symbols verses words
@ 2011-03-03 14:14   ` Perry Smith
       [not found]     ` <mailman.9.1299163745.10269.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-03-03 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 3, 2011, at 4:19 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Perry,
>
>> I need some help understanding Emac's design.  I use a lot of "word"
>> constructs where I *think* I should be using symbol.  For example, if
>> I'm writing C code and I want to find foo but not foo_bar, I usually
>> do \<foo\> but really it seems that I should be doing \_<foo\_>
>> ... fine.  I can make that adjustment.  But when I do incremental
>> search, I often hit ^w to pull in the next word but what I really want
>> (often but not always) is to pull in the next symbol (into the search
>> string).  So if I'm sitting at this_that, I'd ilke to hit ^W (perhaps)
>> and pull in this_that instead of just this.
>
> I think, something like that should do the trick:

> (defun isearch-yank-symbol-or-char ()
>  "Pull next character or symbol from buffer into search string."
>  (interactive)
>  (isearch-yank-internal
>   (lambda ()
>     (if (or (memq (char-syntax (or (char-after) 0)) '(?w ?_))
>             (memq (char-syntax (or (char-after (1+ (point))) 0)) '(?w ?_)))
>         (forward-symbol 1)
>       (forward-char 1))
>     (point))))
>
> (define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-S-w") 'isearch-yank-symbol-or-char)
>
> So when you are on a word constituent (?w) or on a symbol constituent
> (?_), then do `forward-symbol', else `forward-char'.

Thanks.  The problem is that my emacs (GNU 23.2) doesn't have
forward-symbol.  I didn't know how to do that.

Thanks again,
Perry

* Re: symbols verses words
@ 2011-03-03 14:26 ` MBR
From: MBR @ 2011-03-03 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Verses are made up of words and words are made up of symbols.  So the
order should be "symbols words verses", not "symbols verses words".

Oh, you meant "vers_u_s" not "vers_e_s".  OK.  I'll shut up now.

     Mark

On 3/2/2011 7:20 PM, Perry Smith wrote:
> I need some help understanding Emac's design.  I use a lot of "word" constructs where I *think* I should be using symbol.  For example, if I'm writing C code and I want to find foo but not foo_bar, I usually do \<foo\>  but really it seems that I should be doing \_<foo\_>  ... fine.  I can make that adjustment.  But when I do incremental search, I often hit ^w to pull in the next word but what I really want (often but not always) is to pull in the next symbol (into the search string).  So if I'm sitting at this_that, I'd ilke to hit ^W (perhaps) and pull in this_that instead of just this.
>
> So, I started looking at isearch-yank-word-or-char and I was going to concoct isearch-yank-symbol-or-char and got stuck-- at least briefly.  Because not only is _ marked as symbol, -, +, /, *, etc are marked as symbol characters too.  So now, I'm confused...
>
> If I have:  this  this_that  this-that
>
> and search for \_<this\_>  I hit the first and third this -- which is exactly what I want.  But how is it doing that since this_that and this-that are the same as far as looking at the syntax table entries?  They are both wwww_wwww.
>
> I'd like to understand how the \_<  and \_>  constructs work so I can make my isearch-yank-symbol-or-char work in a consistent manner.
>
> Thanks,
> Perry

* Re: symbols verses words
@ 2011-03-03 14:33   ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-03-03 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MBR; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

:-)  Never could smell.

On Mar 3, 2011, at 8:26 AM, MBR wrote:

> Verses are made up of words and words are made up of symbols.  So the order should be "symbols words verses", not "symbols verses words".
>
> Oh, you meant "versus" not "verses".  OK.  I'll shut up now.
>
>     Mark
>
> On 3/2/2011 7:20 PM, Perry Smith wrote:
>>
>> I need some help understanding Emac's design.  I use a lot of "word" constructs where I *think* I should be using symbol.  For example, if I'm writing C code and I want to find foo but not foo_bar, I usually do \<foo\> but really it seems that I should be doing \_<foo\_> ... fine.  I can make that adjustment.  But when I do incremental search, I often hit ^w to pull in the next word but what I really want (often but not always) is to pull in the next symbol (into the search string).  So if I'm sitting at this_that, I'd ilke to hit ^W (perhaps) and pull in this_that instead of just this.
>>
>> So, I started looking at isearch-yank-word-or-char and I was going to concoct isearch-yank-symbol-or-char and got stuck-- at least briefly.  Because not only is _ marked as symbol, -, +, /, *, etc are marked as symbol characters too.  So now, I'm confused...
>>
>> If I have:  this  this_that  this-that
>>
>> and search for \_<this\_> I hit the first and third this -- which is exactly what I want.  But how is it doing that since this_that and this-that are the same as far as looking at the syntax table entries?  They are both wwww_wwww.
>>
>> I'd like to understand how the \_< and \_> constructs work so I can make my isearch-yank-symbol-or-char work in a consistent manner.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Perry

* Re: symbols verses words
@ 2011-03-03 14:48     ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]     ` <mailman.9.1299163745.10269.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-03-03 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perry Smith; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Perry,

>> I think, something like that should do the trick:

>> (defun isearch-yank-symbol-or-char ()
>>  "Pull next character or symbol from buffer into search string."
>>  (interactive)
>>  (isearch-yank-internal
>>   (lambda ()
>>     (if (or (memq (char-syntax (or (char-after) 0)) '(?w ?_))
>>             (memq (char-syntax (or (char-after (1+ (point))) 0)) '(?w ?_)))
>>         (forward-symbol 1)
>>       (forward-char 1))
>>     (point))))
>>
>> (define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-S-w") 'isearch-yank-symbol-or-char)
>>
>> So when you are on a word constituent (?w) or on a symbol constituent
>> (?_), then do `forward-symbol', else `forward-char'.
>
> Thanks.  The problem is that my emacs (GNU 23.2) doesn't have
> forward-symbol.  I didn't know how to do that.

Ah, that function is defined in thingatpt.el, so you are only missing a
(require 'thingatpt).

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: symbols verses words
       [not found]     ` <mailman.9.1299163745.10269.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-03 15:34       ` rusi
From: rusi @ 2011-03-03 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 3, 7:48 pm, Tassilo Horn <tass...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Perry Smith <pedz...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Perry,
>

> >> I think, something like that should do the trick:
>
> >> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> >> (defun isearch-yank-symbol-or-char ()
> >>  "Pull next character or symbol from buffer into search string."
> >>  (interactive)
> >>  (isearch-yank-internal
> >>   (lambda ()
> >>     (if (or (memq (char-syntax (or (char-after) 0)) '(?w ?_))
> >>             (memq (char-syntax (or (char-after (1+ (point))) 0)) '(?w ?_)))
> >>         (forward-symbol 1)
> >>       (forward-char 1))
> >>     (point))))
>
> >> (define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-S-w") 'isearch-yank-symbol-or-char)
> >> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> >> So when you are on a word constituent (?w) or on a symbol constituent
> >> (?_), then do `forward-symbol', else `forward-char'.
>
> > Thanks.  The problem is that my emacs (GNU 23.2) doesn't have
> > forward-symbol.  I didn't know how to do that.
>
> Ah, that function is defined in thingatpt.el, so you are only missing a
> (require 'thingatpt).
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Its there but not documented (emacs 23.1.1)

* Re: symbols verses words
@ 2011-03-03 19:25       ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-03-03 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 3, 2011, at 8:48 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Perry Smith <pedzsan@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Perry,
>
>>> I think, something like that should do the trick:
>>>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> (defun isearch-yank-symbol-or-char ()
>>> "Pull next character or symbol from buffer into search string."
>>> (interactive)
>>> (isearch-yank-internal
>>>  (lambda ()
>>>    (if (or (memq (char-syntax (or (char-after) 0)) '(?w ?_))
>>>            (memq (char-syntax (or (char-after (1+ (point))) 0)) '(?w ?_)))
>>>        (forward-symbol 1)
>>>      (forward-char 1))
>>>    (point))))
>>>
>>> (define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-S-w") 'isearch-yank-symbol-or-char)
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>>
>>> So when you are on a word constituent (?w) or on a symbol constituent
>>> (?_), then do `forward-symbol', else `forward-char'.
>>
>> Thanks.  The problem is that my emacs (GNU 23.2) doesn't have
>> forward-symbol.  I didn't know how to do that.
>
> Ah, that function is defined in thingatpt.el, so you are only missing a
> (require 'thingatpt).

Got it... thanks!

Perry

* Re: symbols verses words
@ 2011-03-04  9:06   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-03-04  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 03.03.2011 11:19, schrieb Tassilo Horn:
> Perry Smith<pedzsan@gmail.com>  writes:
>
> Hi Perry,
>
>> I need some help understanding Emac's design.  I use a lot of "word"
>> constructs where I *think* I should be using symbol.  For example, if
>> I'm writing C code and I want to find foo but not foo_bar, I usually
>> do \<foo\>  but really it seems that I should be doing \_<foo\_>
>> ... fine.  I can make that adjustment.  But when I do incremental
>> search, I often hit ^w to pull in the next word but what I really want
>> (often but not always) is to pull in the next symbol (into the search
>> string).  So if I'm sitting at this_that, I'd ilke to hit ^W (perhaps)
>> and pull in this_that instead of just this.
>
> I think, something like that should do the trick:

> (defun isearch-yank-symbol-or-char ()
>    "Pull next character or symbol from buffer into search string."
>    (interactive)
>    (isearch-yank-internal
>     (lambda ()
>       (if (or (memq (char-syntax (or (char-after) 0)) '(?w ?_))
>               (memq (char-syntax (or (char-after (1+ (point))) 0)) '(?w ?_)))
>           (forward-symbol 1)
>         (forward-char 1))
>       (point))))
>
> (define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-S-w") 'isearch-yank-symbol-or-char)
>
> So when you are on a word constituent (?w) or on a symbol constituent
> (?_), then do `forward-symbol', else `forward-char'.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Hi Tassilo,

maybe I'm missing the point.

In the case given may just extend input

from `\w+' onto `\w+.\w'

(?)

Andreas

* Re: symbols verses words
       [not found] <mailman.10.1299111607.15358.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-05  4:36 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-03-05  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> So, I started looking at isearch-yank-word-or-char and I was going to
> concoct isearch-yank-symbol-or-char and got stuck-- at least briefly.
> Because not only is _ marked as symbol, -, +, /, *, etc are marked as symbol
> characters too.  So now, I'm confused...

Which syntax is assigned to which char depends on the major mode.
What you describe, for example, is not true of C-mode buffers.

> If I have:  this  this_that  this-that

> and search for \_<this\_> I hit the first and third this -- which is exactly
> what I want.

I suspect this test was not performed in the same buffer as the one
in which you checked the syntax of those chars.