all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to create a function to italicize in latex in emacs?
@ 2011-07-26 10:58 Pedro Costa
From: Pedro Costa @ 2011-07-26 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I would like to italicize a word in latex in emacs automatically.
Instead of write \textit{word}, I would like to select the "word" and
then write M-x <my command> and it's added textit around the word. Do
I have to create a lisp function in .emacs? How do I do that?

* Re: How to create a function to italicize in latex in emacs?
@ 2011-07-27 19:31 ` dejfson
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: dejfson @ 2011-07-27 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Costa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

This is already done. Install auctex and you can use shortcuts like c-c c-f
c-i if you want font to be  in italics

D.

sent from mobile phone
Dne 27.7.2011 21:19 "Pedro Costa" <psdc1978@gmail.com> napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> I would like to italicize a word in latex in emacs automatically.
> Instead of write \textit{word}, I would like to select the "word" and
> then write M-x <my command> and it's added textit around the word. Do
> I have to create a lisp function in .emacs? How do I do that?
>
> Thanks,

* Re: How to create a function to italicize in latex in emacs?
@ 2011-07-27 19:50 ` Andreas Röhler
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2011-07-27 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.07.2011 12:58, schrieb Pedro Costa:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to italicize a word in latex in emacs automatically.
> Instead of write \textit{word}, I would like to select the "word" and
> then write M-x<my command>  and it's added textit around the word. Do
> I have to create a lisp function in .emacs? How do I do that?
>
> Thanks,

Hi,

running the code below
you need a package thing-at-point-utils.el

from

http://launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/thing-at-point-utils/1.2/+download/thing-at-point-utils-1.2.tgz

otherwise

replace (ar-bounds-of-word-atpt) by a function delivering the borders of
the word, a cons

(defun textit ()
   (interactive "*")
   (let* ((bounds (ar-bounds-of-word-atpt))
         (beg (car bounds))
         (end (copy-marker (cdr bounds))))
     (goto-char beg)
     (insert "\\textit{")
     (goto-char end)
     (insert "}")))

HTH,

Andreas

--
https://launchpad.net/python-mode
https://launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

* Re: How to create a function to italicize in latex in emacs?
@ 2011-07-27 19:53 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-07-27 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Costa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Pedro Costa <psdc1978@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to italicize a word in latex in emacs automatically.
> Instead of write \textit{word}, I would like to select the "word" and
> then write M-x <my command> and it's added textit around the word. Do
> I have to create a lisp function in .emacs? How do I do that?

Not exactly the answer you are looking for but you might want to look
at org-mode. It lets you format text with simple markups (e.g.
/italicise/, *bold*, _underline_ ) and much more. And then you can
export an org-mode document to several formats, including latex.

http://orgmode.org/
http://orgmode.org/worg/

> Thanks,

GL.

--
Suvayu

* Re: How to create a function to italicize in latex in emacs?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-07-27 21:16 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-07-27 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Jul 26 2011, Pedro Costa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to italicize a word in latex in emacs automatically.
> Instead of write \textit{word}, I would like to select the "word" and
> then write M-x <my command> and it's added textit around the word. Do
> I have to create a lisp function in .emacs? How do I do that?

If you're editing a latex file you should be using a latex mode to do
that, and the latex mode will provide these sorts of commands. Auctex is
a great one: using that, select the word and then hit C-c C-f C-i to
surround it with \textit{}. Or just hit the command with nothing
selected, and point will be left between the braces, ready to type.

Eric

* Re: How to create a function to italicize in latex in emacs?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-07-28  3:54 ` R. Clayton
From: R. Clayton @ 2011-07-28  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I would like to italicize a word in latex in emacs automatically.  Instead of
write \textit{word}, I would like to select the "word" and then write M-x <my
command> and it's added textit around the word. Do I have to create a lisp
function in .emacs? How do I do that?

  This is how I do it:

    (defun latex-surround-word (before after)

    "Add the given prefix and suffix to the word at point."

      (or (looking-at "\\<") (search-backward-regexp "\\<"))
      (insert before)
      (search-forward-regexp "\\>")
      (insert after))

    (defun latex-ital-word ()

    "Set the word at point in italics."

      (interactive)
      (latex-surround-word "{\\it " "\\/}"))

    (define-key latex-mode-map "\C-cfi" 'latex-ital-word)

  Put those and similar in a file and load the file as part of the latex mode
  hook.